testing your change water

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by karlas, Jun 14, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello Apo:

Since Aqua Craft DID NOT pay for or do any of the testing in the S-15 Report,, you should be OK with what is one the site.

As for ammonia in freshly mixed marine salts.... We test our salts 1 hour after hydration and we find zero ammonia. -- As for low Ca in one or more brands, that is how they are made.

MDP / CEO Aqua Craft Inc.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I have used Aqua Craft Marine Environment 2 part salt, three bags full. My testing has resulted in the following less than 30 minutes after hydaration. All my testing was done on a 5 gallon batch with tap water using SeaChem test kits (we have very good filtered water here in Reno):

Ph 8.3
    Alk 12 dkh
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrites 0
    Nitrates 0
    Calcium 450 ppm
    Magnesium 1300 ppm

The other test, that of smell, has ME2 smelling fresher than IO, Reef Crystals, and Coral Life. In addition, the ME2 mixes wetter, dissolves faster, and leaves no white residue in the bottom of my mixing bucket as the other salts did. The delivered cost of the ME2 for three bags is the same price charged by my LFS for three bags of IO. and less than Reef Crystals.

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Gresham Hendee's personal opinion

[quote author=MDPinUSA link=board=Water;num=1055669767;start=0#9 date=10/26/03 at 17:33:14]Hello Gresham:

Since I am CEO of Aqua Craft, tell me what sucks about our salts.

MDP :)[/quote]

I never said anything "sucked" about your salts, I'm sorry if thats how it was construed.  For the record, I have personally sold almost a full pallet of your salts, and did get good results with some of them.  

I used the Meersalt for our FO holding system at the last retail shop I worked at, and it worked quite well.  The price point was real nice as well.   Funny thing is, after all that has been said and done, your salt was stacked on my desk when I got to the facility late last night.  I'll give it another try and see how it works.

For the record, I've been looking for a new salt brand to use, IMO IO's quality has sufferred since they've been bought out.

I personally like NSW from Catalina Norcal, but thats just my personal opinion.

5. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i forgot to reply with my ammonia test. i do always let it set at least for a day and know the ammonia is gone by the time i change the water but my amm reading on the red sea salt is in the 0.8 range the greenest bar on the tester. also another reason you should let you salt sit is because it can burn corals and fish especially if added to the tank which ive seen and read about several times. i noticed this when mixing the salts red sea and IO. i use a plastic container put some of the fresh water out of the bucket and mix the salt then put it in the bucket (easier mixing). but the bottom of the mixing container actually gets hot you can feel the heat comming of the bottom through the plastic. so i would say that information would be true. interesting hey  ;)

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

ever notice how all brands mix different, ie. brown scum, white scum, no scum and white scale?

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i get a white flaky type sometimes i think it might be off the bucket though i just take my net and skim it off the top when its floating

8. Click Here!

9. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I just tested reef crystals brand temp at 80' s.g. at 1.025
    I used distilled water for the mix it sat for a day getting airated before I tested it heres how it came out
    ph 8.1 little low I thought
    alk 5.0 thats good
    cal. 500 wow this was better than I thought!
    That was all I tested it for hope this helps!!!
    ;D ;D :eek: ;D ;D

10. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

thnx for the reply on the reef crystals

11. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

Ca at 250

I think there is something wrong with your test kit

White scum , brown scum, etc..

It is usually from binders and anticaking agent. Some are clay minerals. They mean much of nothing, just don't suck it out into the tank and add it to the tank. If you did, it also means much of nothing. Clean the container when done, scrubbing it with a plastic brush and rinse it in tap water.