testing tank, need help

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by NinjaGirl, Jul 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NinjaGirl

NinjaGirl Astrea Snail

What is everything that I should test in my tank? Also what is the okay range? I know that you should test for pH, salinity, NO2 and NO3. If some of these tests read high how do I lower them, or if they are high how to I lower them?

2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

temp 76-82
    salinity 1.023-1.026
    ph 7.9-8.3
    ammonia 0
    nitrate 0-20
    nitrite 0
    mag 1280-1500
    calcium 385-450
    dkH 7-12

test your water then we'll see what you need adjusted.

4. NinjaGirl

NinjaGirl Astrea Snail

I only have a pH, NO2, and NO3 tests, I'll have to buy the other kits in the morning.
    Would a protein skimmer help keep everything in check?

5. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

skimmer only helps delay water changes by keeping nitrates in check. if your tank is only 10g, then you dont need a skimmer.. you need to do 1-2g water changes every week. that will keep your water parms in check. as taking out old water has the poop, new water has all the good stuff to replenish what was used up in your existing water from age.

petmountain.com has api reef master kit for good price.

6. NinjaGirl

NinjaGirl Astrea Snail

I thought I needed a skimmer, I guess if I don't then I'll hold off.
    For doing water changes it is better to buy premade water or mixing it myself?

Does a cleaning crew help?
    I have hermit crabs x4, nassarius snails x3, and a bumble bee snail. I also have an engineer goby.

7. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

You didn't mention a test for ammonia,this along with the others you have will be good to moniter things while your tank cycles.You want your ammonia and nitrite levels to read zero,this will happen naturally as the tank cycles and the beneficial bacteria do their job.It's best not to do anything (other than add water to top off) while this is taking place,just wait,and then wait some more.This is the hard part when your anxious to add your first fish but it's the best way to be successful.You could add a little flake food or dried seaweed for your crabs once in a while (very little),this will help feed the bacteria too causing them to multiply.When your ammonia and nitrite levels have dropped and remained at zero for a week or so you should see a rise in nitrates which is fine as long as they don't go too high.The nitrate level probably won't drop to zero,about 20ppm is the norm.