Test Readings?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by TEPOZ_AZTLAN, Sep 23, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TEPOZ_AZTLAN

TEPOZ_AZTLAN Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hi everyone, I have couple of ???, I understand that Ph the best to do a test reading is by night time correct? if so if you check your reading under a regular light bulb you get one reading if you check that same test in daylight is completly diferent.
    So when is the best time to do a PH test? and under what light you'll get a true reading?, same as calcium when is the best time to do a test :confused:
    any help THX

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

I test during the light time of my tank.. ph drops at night so you get a better reading with the light on.does not matter what the light you use ph is the same.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I test around 4-7pm - the halide goes off at 8pm.
    I think mid afternoon to early evening would be best, of course this depends on when your lights go on and off.

That would go for pH and calcium and everything else. Alk would be low in the morning, meaning your calcium reading would be higher, than later when the alk goes up I believe.

You could always do a few tests in the morning and evening to get a range.

5. TEPOZ_AZTLAN

Thanks flor the replies, I still see a diference in PH coloration if you see it under diferent lightning conditions, but I'll try your sugestions.
    THX

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I see what you are saying. If you are reading the test in natural sunlight, it will read a little more yellow. Under halogen bulbs, maybe a little more blue. Try and use the same light source and make it as close to a true white light as you can get. I also put the sample over a sheet of plain white paper so I get a true reading and not a reflection of what is behind the test sample. That usually helps too.

;D

7. TEPOZ_AZTLAN

Cool that is what I'm talking about ;D lol
    THX