Test Kits

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by gamma, Jun 19, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

Which test kit brand(s) do you use the most and why? Do you use a particular brand for a certain test?

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I use Salifert for everything but Ammonia and for that I use Hegan. There seems to be limited chose up here in Vancouver. It A+ reef stores only carry Salifert and the lower end stores only Carry Hagen.

J

4. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I'm keeping my eye on this thread 'cause I have no idea which brand to go with, so I am at the mercy of the long term reefers. ;)

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I voted for Seachem because that is what I have, but if money was no object I'd probably try Salifert because I've heard so many great things about their kits.

That said, I like my Seachem kits a lot and they are a lot cheaper than Salifert. Once, my calcium reagent got moldy from leaving it to close to the tank and they replaced it free of charge. (Now I keep it in a little tupperware container. ;) )

matt

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I voted La Motte as they are the most accurate tests of the ones listed. When you consider that a double blind test with very sophisticated equipment costs hundreds or thousands of dollars, the La Mottes are very reasonable. I've used Salifert in the past but have upgraded to La Motte.

7. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

Seachem and Salifert are by far the best. I have tested all the Ca kits and found most to be within 25 ppm of eachother but i like the Salifert for its ease of use.

8. Click Here!

9. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

I for one, am switching from a Tetra test kit, to Salifert. Although the Tetra kit is very easy to use I don't find it to be as accurate a the Salifert tests.

The LaMotte kits, from what I hear are the best on the market, but they are very expensive.

10. captivereefs

I like the Tetra nitrate kit over the salifert.

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Darin,

Any experience wth the La Mottes?

12. captivereefs

I have tried the Lamotte calcium test kit and fond it no more accurate that the Seachemor Salifrt. They were all within 10ppm of each other.