Test kits Inconsistent

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by somethingfishy, Oct 31, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, I am not sure that indicates the test is bad....with the seachem , each drop is .5 meq/L so there is not much room for error.....did you run more than one control? Were you exactly to the base of the bulb with the water/control solution? 4 or 4.5 that is only one drop difference....I too have the Salifert....after the pH problem I had I started to switch. Salifert gives you smaller increment readings....I do like the Seachem Calcium because it is very similar to most of the Salifert kits I have as far as being able to get a smaller increment reading. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sue I like the Seachem calcium kit too.

Well fishy you have me testing...

I just did a control test with my alk and got 4.0 on the mark.
    Did you use the same pipette that you did your other test with? I used a clean one per reference test instructions.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Karma to birdlady and fishy for this thread and bringing up the reference test. I was having trouble with the colors of the iodine test.. now I know to do the reference.. i'll do that one and my tank sample right next to it. That should make it real easy to determine where I am at. :)

5. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i use only salifert tests now after i got burned with my fastest and seatest test kits. Salifert is way more accurate and better. its also more expensive.

6. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Birdlady You make a good point on the water being at the base of the bulb. I assume that no water should be in the bulb. Does anyone know what the measurment is for that pipelet? I hate those damn things and I would perfer to use a syringe. What can I say I'm a Junkie. :)

Off to do some testing again. I forgot about it last night.

7. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

THE RESULTS ARE IN!!  Seachem won the Election  ;D

Sorry about the poor sense of humor.

Test 1 3.0 meq/L (8.4 dkh) Seachem test kit

Test 2 10 dkh (3.5 meq/L Aquarium Pharmacuticals

Test 3 3.0 meq/L (8.4 dkh) Seachem test kit #2

Control test 4.0 meq/L this is where it is supposed to be.

Well, I'm not sure what happened but the results seem very consistant this time. I guess you should test with a clear head and not a tired brain.

Note these tests are in same order of origanl posting.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Glad to hear it. You gave me some good ideas on this thread. Thanks.

[quote author=somethingfishy link=board=Water;num=1099264463;start=0#14 date=11/02/04 at 16:40:10]Does anyone know what the measurment is for that pipelet?[/quote]

I believe it's 1 ml. EDIT - NOPE. I AM WRONG. THE ONE IN THE CALCIUM KIT IS 1 mL. Not sure about the small ones. :-/