Test Kit Comparison

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by gabbyr189, Feb 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Great post Sticky for sure

2. Click Here!

3. arentspowell

arentspowell Skunk Shrimp

Great write up for sure! However the Hanna check price per test is a little mis-leading. Its an upfront cost but then you buy the reagents. So it brings the cost per test way down. I'm sure this will help out a lot of people debating between test kits!

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Very cool write up. +K

5. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Excellent write up..allot of information there, my hats off to you.
    I'm saving my pennies for the Hanna...But I'm still using API.
    ..its all in the ballpark to me..unless I get something happening that needs to be checked a little closer....But almost 6 years, and API has kept me "close enough".
    Hanna is the way to go though..quite a few people in my local reef club use them.... I AM green with envy. : ) soon ...very soon. Great Post !! K +

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Here's the most interesting thing I observe: Based on the cost/test (initial or future), I'll be sticking with Salifert kits over the Hanna checkers for Alk & Ca. Especially when you consider the average review and the complaints associated with the Hanna Ca checker. I'm been using Salifert long enough now that not only can I use them quickly, I don't need to pay much attention to what I'm doing.

Again, thanks for your effort. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

+1 on the hanna, they are a little more work but they are very accurate and there is very guess work involved.

8. Click Here!

9. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

i used salifert and still do for mag
    but when hanna comes out with a mag tester it will be the end of salifert;D

10. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

I have updated several of the Red Sea kits to Red Sea Pro. However, I cannot find the pro versions for either the ammonia or the nitrite. I cannot find an Iron Pro test, I can only find the Iron Pro Refill. The refill is probably for their Reef Colors Multi-Test Kit.

Yes this was a little bit misleading. I had the future cost listed as the price for the refills. I did have all the Future Costs for the test kits that did not provide the options for refills listed as N/A. I decided to relist them as the costs for the whole test kit, as people will have to buy the whole kit again. This way, the Future Costs will be more comparable.

11. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Wow, you obviously took a lot of time and out a lot of work into this review! Thank you for sharing it with us!

I was just looking at test kits online about time for some new ones) and I have no clue how to decide which is best. Now I can get a better idea! Thanks!

12. arentspowell

arentspowell Skunk Shrimp

I have only used the Hanna Phosphorus HI-736. Supposedly a better low range then the phosphate one. Cost a little more up front but the fact that I know exactly what my phosphate levels are 0 or .021, etc. is well worth the up front cost. I use Salifert for everything else but have my eye on the Hanna Alk!