Test and Dose

Discussion in 'Coral' started by mirosh, Aug 31, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Oh, just checked your sig....that regiment should be fine for you as well.
    I have also been accused of overfeeding as well, just so you know. I have cyano, so it must be true! ;D

2. Click Here!

3. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Just the two percs, the yellow tang, and the coral beauty...nothing that special...i will definately cut down A LOT!

4. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

BL, I have some Mrs. Wage's from a while back that I never used. Would this be easier than the two part system? In other words...I am not home every day in order to check my levels and dose with the two part system. Would I be able to add the Mrs. Wage's to my RO/DI reservoir and let it be my top-off water (I have an automatic top off system installed)? I get the impression (from other posts) that that is what you do, but let me know if it is possible to do it that way? Also, do you use vinegar like some places suggest? Or, would you suggest getting a Automatic doser such as the Kent Marine Aquadose or Eheim Liquidoser?

-Mike

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  5. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Also, am I supposed to add calcium and buffer to my water change water?

-Mike

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

You could add it to your top off resevoir, but it will kill the pump over time. I have my top of pump in fresh water, and it gets pushed through my kalk reactor, then into the tank. I don't use vinegar, you can't really with the reactor. I did use it before tho. The dosing pump may be better.

Is it easier? I don't know, you still gotta mix it up every couple days.

As far as the water change water...I add Osmo prep which adds back some of the buffering removed during filtration. That and a good salt mix should be all you need. But by all means, test the water and add what you need before mixing into the tank. Some salts are hi or lo in certain elements. ;D

7. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Hey all,

I keep testing and dosing as appropriate and I still can't seem to get my levels of Calcium/Phosphate/Alk to be acceptable.

I got my Phosphate down to around 0.1-0.2 ppm after adding some short feather caulerpa to the sump and feeding less (now I only feed about 2 or 3 times per week). I still need to get rid of these trace readings, but from a measurement of 2ppm about 3 weeks ago, I'm happy with the results.

My Calcium levels are still at 350ppm and I am trying to get them up by following the bottle of Tech-CB recommendation: "If Alkalinity is high, reduce the amount of part B you add by 50% and double the amount of part A". Therefore, until the measurements are correct, I am adding 30 ml (6 tsp) of part A and 7.5 ml (1.5 tsp) of part B, 15 ml being the normal amount of each once my readings are stable. I add every morning and test every afternoon and have been doing so for 3 weeks with no increase in Calcium or Decrease in Alk.

I thought this would fix my high Alk values too, but they also seem to be stuck at around 300ppm (6 meq/L).

Any suggestions? Does this require more time of dosing and testing?

I have also been doing weekly water changes...

Hope you can help1

-Mike

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I have had the same issues...still do from time to time, but this article has helped ;D

10. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

BL,

I read through the article and the attached articles and decided that my best course of action right now was to dose with Kent Marine Turbo Calcium and hold off on the Tech-CB until I get my Calcium to the appropriate point. The bottle of Turbo Calcium recommends adding 1/8 teaspoon of granules per 50 gallons. Should I be adding slightly more in order to get my levels up a bit?

Thanks again for all of the help!

-Mike

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

According to what I read in the article (your problems fall into zone 3 if I read correctly, right?) and I used the handy little Calcium Chloride calculator link, and entered a value of 350 for CA and 55 gallon volume , I came up with 1.53 ounces , so , however much that is... ::)
    You can always just add some each day until you are where you want to be. I would not personally push it much over 400-425 with your alk that high. It will fall eventually on its own and then you can assess what values you are going to strive for. ;D