Test and Dose

Discussion in 'Coral' started by mirosh, Aug 31, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Hello Everyone,

I recently decided to attempt coral keeping and decided that I should probably start testing phosphate, alkalinity, and calcium. I bought some red sea test kits and these are the results i'm getting:

Phosphate: 2.0ppm (that's not good...shouldn't it be around 0ppm)
    Calcium: 350ppm (shouldn't it be around 450)
    Alk: 300ppm (seems fine to me)

So...in order to get my Calcium up, I started dosing with KENT Marine Tech-CB Calcium Buffer (Part A and Part B). Is this OK? They recommend adding 10 ml each of Part A and Part B per day for every 40 gallons. I am therefore, going to add about 10-12 ml of Part A and Part B each day until my Calcium and Alk levels are acceptable.

As for the Phosphate, what is the best way to get it down and keep it down? Caulerpa in my sump? Phosphate Sponge? Any other suggestions?

Thanks all,
    Mike

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Phosphate...I assume you use ro/di water? If so, you can use some type of phosphate remover...feed less ;) Be sure to drain off pack juices from frozen foods :)

CA - 400 - 450 is fine

Alk - not sure what 300 ppm is equivalent to... 4 meq/L or 10-12 dKH is what I am used to seeing.

The two part is a good way to raise the levels proportionately :)

4. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

From an information website I found:

Alkalinity will be reported in terms of calcium carbonate equivalent (CCE) in parts per million (ppm) on water test reports. Occasionally, alkalinity may be reported as the concentration of total carbonates (TC) in milliequivalents per liter (meq/L). Total carbonates in meq/L can be converted to alkalinity in ppm with the following formula:
    alkalinity (ppm CCE) = total carbonates (meq/L TC) ÷ 0.02

Therefore, multiplying my 300 ppm by 0.02, I get 6 meq/L Alkalinity!

Also, for future reference, 1 meq/l = 2.8 dKH = 50 ppm CaCO3 (which of course arrives at the same 6 meq/l or 16.8 dKH)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

That is a wee bit high....pushing CA to 450 would not be good, shoot for about 400 IMHO, so you don't get precipitation in your tank ;) Perhaps dose a little less of the Alk part to get them more in line...

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

7. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

I will be dosing and monitoring as appropriate and will let you know the results...I am going to test my RO/DI output for phosphate and depending on what that says, take a course of action...I will lessen my feeding (cut down to once per day) and be more careful with the frozen juices!

Now I have the project of getting all of these parameters in check!

-Mike

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Cut back to once per day!!!!!! I feed 2 to 3 times per WEEK! That is plenty!!!

10. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

HAHAHA...guess I was over-feeding...I just feel so bad for the fish, they always gobble it up when I feed them! Whoops! Well, I will only be feeding a small amount once per day (if that much)! I was under the impression that flakes or frozen stuff twice per day was a normal amount? Guess I got the wrong impression from someone!

Well, thanks for the heads up! I will be limiting my feeding.

Oh, also, I got a chance to test my RO/DI for phosphates and it read 0ppm, so I guess my only real problem is the over-feeding and I'm not gonna worry about getting a phosphate remover for my RO/DI.

Thanks for all of your help BL...I really owe ya!

-Mike

11. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Wait a second BL, you only feed your fish a few times per week? Or do you only feed your corals a few times per week?

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Corals get fed one or two times per week and I may toss in a pinch of flake or a strip of nori for my tang one additional time in that week.

If you have anthias or a specialty fish that needs extra feeding, by all means, care for the fish first! What fish do you have again?