Terrible time for a crash.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by reefnJeff, Jun 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I think I need to take a fast trip to the LFS and have them check it, i got a broken coral.

2. Click Here!

3. reefnJeff

How nice is that? I have to acclimate my Corals to crappy water :(

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

sorry about the damaged coral that always is a sad thing to open a box to :(
    your water is bad, but not that bad. it should be fine. pick up that microbacter7 when i started my tank i used it weekly with water changes and if i disturbed anything moving items around in the tank. it will help. if they don't have that seachems product called stability is i believe the same. on the side of sachems bottle it talks about new tank syndrome. which is what your going threw. either product will help you. try to not get crazy with that prime. its really not great to add unless water is really bad. like your 1 reading was.
    the bacterias i listed will keep that ammonia in line and you won't have to reach for prime

5. reefnJeff

Thanks pink4miss, all is good! I over-reacted ;)

6. reefnJeff

I really so appreciate everyone that responded to my plee for help, i am so thrilled that it turned out better than i had feared, you reefers are great.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Good good.

Let us know how all is going. :)

And congrats on the new corals.

8. Click Here!

9. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

+1 Prime will not fix your problem, and IMO is a poor temporary solution. Prime binds REVERSIBLY to ammonia in your fish tank, so without CONSTANT use of prime, the ammonia will dissociate and become free within your tank again.

The only way IMO to remove the ammonia from your water is through water changes. If you are having only little success with small (20%) try and do a 50% water change.

If you have room, you could also look at a miracle mud sump with cheato algae or similar which are beasts when coming to removing ammonia from the water as well as phosphates long term.

The only thing I dose my tank with is bacteria on occasion and some other supplements to make my corals nice :). But other wise, when there is a problem: water change, water change, water change.

Hope you get it sorted mate. :).

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

if you dosed prime you must now do a water change. Prime is a fantastic thing to keep on hand at all times for emergencies such as this.........however it is only a temporary fixed. As said above it only temporary binds the ammonia until you are able to do the waterchange. Otherwise in a few days it will rise again. And aalso like said it does nothing to restore the bacteria in your system

As far as mud.........i personally would avoid it. You need to replace half of it about every 6 months and is very expensive.

ok....now for the most important part! Pictures of the corals!!!!!!!

11. reefnJeff

I did a little better than pics, here is a short video, wait to you see the Polyp activity in the corals, pretty good for being in the tank less than 24 hours.

http://youtu.be/hgcTV9EZ9Yo

12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

+1 to the not crazy about mud, if you must use do not make it more than 1 1/2 inches deep. i thought more would be better, and to top it off i didn't change half in a year and it started to crash ( it became toxic ), luckily someone pin pointed the problem before it killed any thing .