Terrible time for a crash.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by reefnJeff, Jun 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

You got a link for that grinder37? Ok I will add more prime.

2. Click Here!

3. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

No,but I have a bottle of Prime in my hand.;)

4. reefnJeff

I plan to set up a sump/refugium here soon, so does that mean this will happen again since everything in there will be new?

5. reefnJeff

SO! I got my prime in hand also ;) if the canistor filter is the source of the ammonia, would it be best to let it run its course or shut it down?

6. reefnJeff

Is that why there is a thick mat of hair algae at the mouth of the outlet on that filter?

7. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

fwiw, I'm running a 75 with sand (no clue how much, been too long) and about 70-80lbs of LR, a Protein Skimmer, refugium, and i do have a bag of carbon hanging in the sump. The only "Cleaning" i do for the filtration system is occasionally clean out the cup of the skimmer real good and change out the carbon. As someone else mentioned, if you've got bio balls or other type of media it will hold a good sized colony of bacteria. If you remove it or clean it then you essentially wipe out a good portion of your filtration. That is probably your problem. As for fixing it, i have no experience with the magic bottles. Past them, water changes and some kind of ammonia absorbing media will be your best bet in the short term. Any bacteria you add from a bottle will still take time to populate and work and if your levels are really high you're already on borrowed time with your fishies.

8. Click Here!

9. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

wait, 90 lbs of live rock in a 40 breeder?
    or do to mean 40 lbs of sand and 50 lbs of rock = 90 lbs ?

10. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

your canister isn't the "Source." Technically your fish are... the difference is the bacteria on your media you removed from your canister used to consume the biproducts from your fishies. i doubt shutting it down will make a difference either way.

11. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

ha yeah, 90lbs of lr is a lot of rock... i don't even have that much.

12. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

It's not the source if you cleaned it,it the rest of the bacteria trying to play "catch up" from the bacteria you removed,basically whats called a mini-cycle,water changes and prime until bacteria rebuild thier population (somewhere other than your canister filter by regular maintenance) is about all you can do.