Temp Help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jay02483, Mar 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jay02483

jay02483 Bristle Worm

so my parents just called me and they checked the temp of the tank and it was 93-94 degrees...they removed the heater and apparently it malufunction and it was on fire lol...all the fish n corals are fine they said...but they wanna know a good way to slowly lower the temp as to not shock the fish

2. Click Here!

3. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

Ice in plastic bags and place in sump if you have or in the DT

4. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

don't do anything and the temp will drop slowly enough to not shock the fish. Water has a fairly high specific heat. So as long as you can get another heater in there by the end of the day you should be fine.

also, what temp do you normally keep your tank at?

5. Nealio

Nealio Coral Banded Shrimp

I'd only do this if you were there to watch the tank while you did it, and make sure it isn't changing temp too quickly. Make sure you get as much ventilation around the top of the tank as possible. Open the hood (and the doors on the stand if you have a sump) to facilitate temperature change.

6. ReefWizard

ReefWizard Coral Banded Shrimp

Ice bags won't work if you have larger system. Try blowing a fan to the surface of your DT. Make sure to top off because the more water will evaporate at higher temp.

7. piezopaul

piezopaul Bristle Worm

If you can spring for it, get a controller for your heater. With all the work, time and cash we put in our tanks, it's a shame to fry everything in your tank and have to start from scratch. Its like driving a car with a gas leak. Sooner or later, KABOOM. I have heaters lying around all over my house with thermostats (if you can call them that) that don't work. PS If they're stuck ON you can still use them with your controller. Don't do anything to cool your tank. The temp will drop slowly.- Paul