tell me this is not DINO PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by bobssecrtsn, Nov 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Thats a lot of GFO for that volume of water. The recommended amount is 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. If iron does fuel the brown cyano as member Dingo previously stated then this could be the issue.

2. Click Here!

3. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

1 tablespoon per 10g? I've read it's 4 tablespoon per 8 gallons..

4. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

5. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

I removed a little less then half of my gfo, the black out looks like it did not do much, I'm going to take my water to the lfs so try can test it and get a poly filter as well

6. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

Well a little Update, i cut my lighting down to about 4-6 hours, i bought the Hanna Phosphorus Checker ULR, I checked twice and i got .001 ppm and .002 ppm. thats with the lights off, i bought some 4 asterias snails and 2 turbos, the algae seems to be cutting back. and i started to use Vodka, tmrow will be my 3rd day.. i also dumped about half my GFO away and put my 2 mp10 to 60% all day and night, left my refuge on 24/7... will let you guys know how it goes!

7. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

Well, a little update as of now the algae is decreased and every day they're less now.

bad news is my fish's have Ich.. i dont know how or why,

another bad news is i might be moving in a month AGAIN. this really sucks after my tank was doing really good i might have to move! grr.

tank FTS will be coming up soon

8. Click Here!

9. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

Well just an update.. The algae went away about a week later, I moved and everything was settling in and today before work I went to check my tank, and I saw a bit on the frag rack.. Strange thing is the night before I did not have it and changed the gfo out.and now I have a bit, I'm using about 9 table spoons. I'm going to remove a bit and see how it goes