tell me this is not DINO PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by bobssecrtsn, Nov 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

So far there has been amazing p.e on all of my acros some maybe even 1/2 inch. And they're encrusting as well. So I'll keep up with what I'm doing and jeep you ipdated

2. Click Here!

3. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

this is not dino - it's cyano. this will happen during the first year. you will get algea blooms.

a few pointers from some one who has learned the hard way lol

#1 lots of flow
    #2 don't over feed - I know it's hard
    #3 keep lights on a regular scheduled keep the photo period @ 6 to 8hrs at first.
    #4 run carbon and gfo if you can add a refugium
    #5 lots of patients

4. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

thank you guys so much for helping me! atm im going to leave my mp10's on overnight in reefcrest mode, also cut my lights down to about 6-7 hours.

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Some cyano is actually fueled by use of GFO. Generally the brown types utilize iron as opposed to the purple types that are more on PO4, nitrates, and light.

Additionally, when taking GFO completely off my tank I have noticed a significant (would even consider calling it exponential) increase in coraline which easily out competes gha and cyano.

The bold above is very important in preventing cyano. Failure to siphon this out leads to nutrient sinks.
    One thing to add is that some frozen foods, like PE mysis for example, are better not washed because the filler is almost completely made up of zooplankton. If you have planktivores or a lot of sps then they will benefit from consuming the plankton.

6. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

UPDATE:: as of this morning 11/3/12 the stringy stuff was even more then before, i left the vortech mp10's on overnight and this stuff was showing their vengeance!

thanks for your input dingo, for now im going to leave GFO on for the moment and im going to do a black out for today only, i just did a 10g water change, and im leaving my fuge on, if i see a decrease of algae on my rocks then i will go on another day with a black out and so forth. but for now im just doing it today and see if i notice a difference.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

ok, here is a very detailed post of assistance - I agree with what everyone else said :) Really, some of it looks like hair and some looks like the green stage prior to purple of coralline IMHO

8. Click Here!

9. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

well i got my CuC and they're not even touching it one bit lol...

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Go figure :)....things can never be that easy in this hobby! I would suggest that decreasing your lighting cycle time should help. I'm sure they'll get started on it soon!

11. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

the only thing they seem interseted in is trying to escape! this is the one reason why i hate rimless lol.

12. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

So my question is, how do I lower my phosphate even more ? I'm at .04 and I literatly can't lower it anymore. I have 20 table spoons of gfo for about 45-50 g of water. A refuge, with the lights on 24/7. I'm going to double check my phosphate at my lfs tmrow just to be sure. Any input on this guys?