TEK or MH/T5?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by {Nano}Reefer, Apr 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

TEK or MH/T5?

1. Sunlight Supply TEK 4 bulb fixture

14 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. 70w MH with 3 T5 retros

12 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well, if appearance is the issue, that's easy enough to work around. Make one box, put both the MH and T5 kits inside of it, and simply hang the box. Would look nice actually

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

you got it, honestly i could care less but the g/f has her mind set, I showed her a picture of the TEK fixture and she said, "that's the one", smart girl :).

4. {Nano}Reefer

that brings up another point, i am working with maybe 13 inches of space give or take, and the TEK fits the bill.

5. psiclone

psiclone Purple Spiny Lobster

Pack just has a MH hardon. Don't let him get you down.

1 person likes this.
  6. {Nano}Reefer

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahaha!!!! dude that is freekin hilarious psiclone, but I can almost guarantee that will be edited :yelrotflm

7. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

+1 with growing SPS on the sand bed in a 24" tank...and dont forget the colors to boot!! the tanks footprint is 24x12the 4 lamp tek light is 23x12...they are destined for each other! You cant really draw a conclusion about your T5s not doing what you had haoped when comparing a 2 lamp nova to the 4 lamp tek. Id say the only other light i would even think about would be the 4 lamp ATI powermodule. But for that size tank i think that it is overkill. Sure it would be sweet but not necessary.

8. Click Here!

9. UTCreefer

UTCreefer Plankton

This is true mostly for a glass tank. I just switched to acrylic and acually needed a chiller even with fans on during the light period.

10. {Nano}Reefer

That Guy, I think my dimension are..... 16 inches high, 19 inches from left to right, and 12 inches front to back if that helps, I looked it up online and am pretty sure it is an 18 gallon Via Aqua.

11. That Guy

HAHA! I love how only those who have never used a full blown T5 setup are the ones who totally knock them. I ran two lumenmax3 250 watt hqi reflectors with pheonix 14k lamps along with 4x54 watt t5 actnics over my old 90 gallon then switched to the 8 lamp tek light and there is no comparison how much nicer my corals colored up!! At all levels of the tank! So, speaking from experience i am not convinced with the MH/T5 combos!

12. That Guy

does you currrent light hang over the edges?