Tear in top in tank

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Mets, Apr 21, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mets

Mets Plankton

Like I said I have never been completely happy having the 48" tank so I guess I am using this as an excuse to buy a 72" tank. Not sure what I might be able to get for the 150 but I am going to try to sell it the stand and canopy.

I have always assumed acrylic was less likely to leak and such since if built properly it has no seams. Is that not true?

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

If you get a good name brand, yes. Clear for Life comes with a lifetime warranty against leaks. You can find them at Marine Depot (a 3Reef sponsor).

4. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

Acrylic is cool because if it scratches, you can buff it out. :) I think my next tank is going to be acrylic. To my understanding Acrylic tanks can take a bit more of a beating than glass tanks as well. It's an option to think about. You spend more money for convenience and peace of mind.

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Thats funny, well, not really I guess.

All the serious reefers I"ve talked to always want glass tanks. Mayber just the ones I've talked to though?

I had thought that for acrylic, you had to have a better stand, as is leveler, and one that had a solid bottom, not just the borders, otherwise it would fail.
    And, it scrathes MUCH easier- but yes, you could buff some of it out?

Obviously, I'm no expert regarding this

6. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I have both glass and acrylic. You have to be extremely careful with acrylic as it is very easy to scratch. 1 grain of sand in whatever you use to clean and bingo scratch. This is why I do not use the acrylic mag float anymore. I actually use Mr Clean magic eraser original and works like a dream but I am super careful when I get near the sand to make sure I do not gen any between it and the acrylic

Sure it is easy to buff out if you drain it and use the different grit wet sandpaper and then use wax to buff it. I completely resurfaced my tank last time I took it down and looks like new.

Plus and minus to both tanks.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Deleted my post, I was keeping the tangent going, not the OP.

I still say try and glass and epoxy that puppy- unless of course you needed a good reason/excuse for a different DT. Brilliant! ;-)