Tattooedsoul87's Dimmable Rapid LED DIY kit

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by tattooedsoul87, May 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tattooedsoul87

tattooedsoul87 Coral Banded Shrimp

thanks, I did as much research as I could within the few weeks between deciding on going with leds and placing the order. I was very unsure about it at first but now Im pretty confident about it. I just worked on my soldering as much as I could and learned the hard way to go with a nice soldering iron the first time, the walmart ones were junk compaired to the weller. the tips on the walmart soldering irons melted down pretty quick, and Im pretty sure they arent suppose to do that

2. Click Here!

3. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Yeah you have to use a good soldering iron.
    The LEDs I'm looking at are custom built. They come with 7 xres on each disc. I was thinking four of those for each of the main lights o try and duplicate halides. I figure four of those in the middle of each fixture would be good. 84 watts of led for a centre light and strips of xre bulbs for the rest. I found some good sights if you want to look at other options for your fixture.

Check out cutter.com.au
    It's an electronics hobbyist based out of Australia that has some amazing led products I didn't even know about. Such as these 21 w discs

4. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

So the package didnt come today? Bummer.. I know the feeling..

If you have any question about building, ASK evolved..! JK, just drop me a line, bro! Subscribed!

5. tattooedsoul87

ya the tracking number says it left for delivery this morning at 9, but I didnt get it yet. Im expecting another package today as well that also says out for delivery so I have no clue whats going on

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

"Left for delivery" or "delivered"?

"Out for delivery" means it's on the truck and the driver hasn't gotten to you just yet.

7. tattooedsoul87

its says out for delivery, but I think the mail man already came

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Ah, that's right, Rapid does USPS. I remember now.

Yeah, it was "Signature Required" for me when I ordered, which means I had to make a trip to the post office the next day and sign for it before they'd give it to me.

10. tattooedsoul87

ya I was thinking I was gunna have to go down there, I thought they would put a letter in my mail box saying to come and get it.

11. tattooedsoul87

now it says it was delivered but I diddnt get a note or anything, I called the appartment office and asked if the had a package for me and all they said was if I have one then there will be a letter in my mail box. So I think its at the front office but they didnt put the letter in my mail box yet, and they wouldnt tell me over the phone if I had one or not. they can tell me over a sticky note that i have a package but they cant tell me over the phone.

12. tattooedsoul87

I have pretty much finished up, I just need to put the optics on the second fixture. Next I will be working on a light wieght frame to hold the 2 fixures together, spread about 6 inches apart, and Im going to try to find a way to put a acrylic splash guard over the leds.

heres everything unpacked from Rapidled.com.
    5Rapid led.JPG

I used 1/8 inch square graph paper to get all the measurments of the layout of my leds precise. Then I used the tip of the pencil to make small holes in the paper, where the leds will go. this way I just taped my layout onto the heat sink and made small dots where the holes were made in the paper.
    6layout.JPG
    after my marks were made I used a T-square to make sure everything was strait and made lines through all the dots. The lines were very helpfull when glueing the leds down, since you cant see the small dots once the led is covering it.
    7Rapid led.JPG

Cool whites glued down
    8Rapid led.JPG

Last edited: May 12, 2011