Tap Water Filter (deionizer)

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Apophis924, Nov 8, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Blue, 1, 80%]Like I said, I was given one of these as a gift. I made up 10 gallons of DI water last night. So far, everything looks great. I haven't put salt in it or anything, that test will come later today. But, I'm fairly pumped about the whole thing. The water tested as Apophis924's did. I can live with that. Especially since I have to pay $0.90 per gallon of RO/DI water, and $0.89 + tax for bottled water from the store. After I do 3 x 10 gallon bottles, it has more than paid for itself... [smiley=thumbs_up.gif][/glow]

2. Click Here!

3. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

After 8 of the 10 bottles of water have been used, I have seen nothing "wrong" with the water. I do NOT see an increase in algae (which was my main concern with Tap Water), nor have I seen an increase in nitrates in the tank. They are very close to zero now with the high oxygen levels. So far so good on the Tap Water Filter... [smiley=grin3.gif]

4. skylab1

skylab1 Astrea Snail

I've use the tap water filter to start my 30g tank, it work very well.
    Yes, they do get exsuated quickly. This filter is perfect for small tank that don't required a lot of water, but larger tank the cost to replace the filter could be high, a RO unit may be better in the long run. I don't use this filter anymore, I got a 6 stage RO unit from ebay for $80 so that's what I use now.

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=Gresham link=board=Product;num=1036762077;start=0#5 date=05/01/03 at 10:33:43]I've sold them to customers when I worked in retail.  They seemed to work fairly well, but they get exsuated quickly (depending on water source).[/quote]

I agree with gresham.... Did I just say that.
    The cost of these units are around 30 dollars and are spent after 60 gallons od tap water or there about.
    The refill costs you 20 bucks. Why not just get a RO/DI unit that will produce 0 TDS and will last months longer saving yourself alot of $$$$$

6. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

i have one and use it becasue of the amount of wasted water from RO is too costly in my area. The problem i have is they say to store them with water inside so you dont let the filter dry out. Well mine has not been green since i used it first and you have to drain the water to see what color the filter is. if it is used to just do water changes and lasts for 60 gals it seems would be fine for smaller tanks

7. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I have been looking at this DI unit and another one by AquaFX. RO seems to create a lot of waste water. I suppose that is fine if you have landscaping to water. I read an article on water quality that suggested using an all house carbon filter then a dual carbon filter and then the DI filter. The DI cart might last longer if the water is prefiltered.

Thanks everyone... [smiley=guitarist.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Yes it would last much longer id it was at the end of your carbon filters. but what really saves the DI filter is the Membrane of the RO unit which will make the DI filter last over 10 times compared to using a plain DI filter. This is what I promote the use of both the RO membrane and the DI filter to get the best possible water.