Tap Water Filter (deionizer)

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Apophis924, Nov 8, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Apophis924

Apophis924 Astrea Snail

This is more like a review of a review. Cut to the chase, the Tap Water Filter  by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals does an outstanding job of making purified deionized water for marine  tanks. They are easy to use, and not too costly if you by them mail order, mine coast 29$ while at the local pet store they run around 40$. refills are easy to change out. Now in Aquarium Fontiers the author reviewd the product and gave it a great rating BUT<< he suggested that you buy two filters and use them in series for more pure water. Dont waste your time and $$. The sytem is a low presssure system and it will leak. The amount of water pressure you need to force water thru both units exceeds the limits on the seals for the unit. I tested my water with only one filter in use and here are the results
    No3 0.0  Po4 0.0   Si 0.0   CL 0.0  NH3/NH4 0.0  PH 5.8 (as with deionized water the PH becomes acid due to CO2 mixing with the water. You have to use an electric PH meter, chemical test kits cannot measure PH of deionized water. Use a good qaulity salt mix and the PH will stablize around 8.1

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I think I have seen these things, are they just a single green canister?

I figured they couldn't be very good. Seemed like a big carbon filter to me from what I saw.

What are you going to do now?

4. Apophis924

Apophis924 Astrea Snail

Yep thats them a green canister and it turns dark blue when exhausted. I still use it. No complaints. just that there is no advantage to using two in series for cleaner water. Using one canister works great for me. The chemeicals i test for show up as zero, My tank is doing great. The things do work. But using two in series is akin to using two vacum cleaner bags to get a cleaner carpet. I do recommend them, i tested water before and after using the filter and the claims are true at least in respect for the chemicals that i can test for.

5. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

Will they keep you from getting the "algae syndrome" from tap water?? If they will do that, they would seem to be worth the $40... [smiley=thinking2.gif] [smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif]

6. Wrassman

[glow=Maroon, 2, 90%]Someone has to have this thing. Is it any good? Is it worth the money? Do you still get algae from the tap water if you "filter" it with this contraption?[/glow]

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I've sold them to customers when I worked in retail. They seemed to work fairly well, but they get exsuated quickly (depending on water source).

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

How often would you recommend changing them G?

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I believe its a color changing DI. Goes from green to blue or visa versa.

11. Wrassman

[glow=Brown, 2, 80%]I was given one of these as a gift. It should be here within a week. I'll let you know when I get it. I'm anxious to try it out and see how good it is.[/glow]
    I'll keep ya posted... [smiley=wink3.gif]

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I was in a LFS looking for a RO/DI unit when another customer grabs the Tap water DI replacment cart. I asked him how it was and he loved them. after a couple of minutes he had convinced me that was the way to go. he never had phosphate problems or chrorine problems. I was all ready to but when I told him I was looking at the Kent Maximum unit and he said " If I had the money that's what I would go for too" He explained over the long run he has spent alot more money on replacment cart. for the Tap water unit. But he didn't have the initial outlay of cash. Over the long haul the RO/DI units like the Kent will be cheaper gallon for Gallon but with the Tap water filter your initial cost is low

Hope this helps
    J

BTW I went for the Kent (x-mas money)