Tankmate for zebra danios?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by sato, Jan 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sato

sato Plankton

I have 6 long-fin zebra danios in my 15 gallon tank, and I keep it at 73. What single fish (so not a school of 5-6 fish) would be a good tankmate for them?

I've thought about a dwarf gourami, but any other ideas? I believe they would nip at a betta's fins, so that is probably out, although I'd love to add a betta to it.

Not looking for a bottom-feeder or any type of loach/catfish/etc. Inverts would be a last resort.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Swordtails Mollies and Platies
    glass fish

4. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

First--Jack that temp up to about 78--73 is too cold (That is Goldfish Weather) Basically you can put just about any community fish with zebras. Fire red dwarf gouramis are really nice when they hit the light. If there is a Petco in your area, They have a pamphlet that is a fish compatibility chart. (I know. I work there part time to pay for my saltwater addiction). 15 gallons is not that big--only room for about 3 more fish.

5. sato

sato Plankton

78? There are zebra danios in there. Danios are subtropical Danio rerio - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830 881 941&pcatid=941 which is the reason I'm asking for a tankmate that can coexist with them, who doesn't need a high temperature.

6. sato

sato Plankton

Thanks for the suggestions so far, but I'm looking for a non-schooling fish besides gouramis. A fish that can be kept with the 6 danios...I only want to add one more fish.

7. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Wow -- Learn something new every day--I have always kept them at 78 with all of my other tropicals and they have always thrived--Thanks for the heads up!!!

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

killifish, flagfish

10. sato

sato Plankton

Yeah I'd love to get either one, but very hard to find at LFS here. I've yet to order a fish online, but if I absolutely can't find them, that's prob what I'll do.

11. scubba.steve

scubba.steve Coral Banded Shrimp

Get yourself one of these
    [​IMG]
    This is my alltime favorite freshwater fish
    Blackghost clown knife.
    You can see he loves tubifex worms
    and willnot harm any other fish in your tank

12. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

You could add a Betta IMO. I've always kept danios and they've never nuisanced anything.