Tanked today?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Dingo, Aug 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I personally enjoyed the show...........however I spent the whole time watching just the fish and stating the obvious problems of how they were setting up the tanks.

dumping 21 boxes of fish into a new tank.........even though the tank is 1200g that is a large amount all at once. No live rock etc for the biological filtration? Maybe in the sump, not sure?
    Taking the puffer out of the water to see it puff? Really, puffing is not a good thing for the fish and is not something you should encourage. Being one that has had to "burp" a 14" golden puffer praying that he survives is stressful both on the fish and on me
    netting all those tangs. I never, ever net any tang, angel or many other fish. They get caught up in the nets with there fins or scalpels so easily and can really injure them
    Parrot fish with no live rock to chew on? That is part of their diet and their beaks are going to be so overgrown very shortly.
    All those tangs in the phone booth. There is no horizontal swimming room for the tangs, only vertical.
    Tap water.......everyone has strong views on using that. I personally do not ever use tap water, however I have corals. These are fish only systems so maybe not as bad. Plus Vegas hotel water probably has amazing filtration systems. However all those tanks are going to be a horrible pain to clean due to the design.
    Mixing the salt and water into the system and adding all the livestock? enough said!

however with that said, I did enjoy watching it. I am sure there is a lot behind the scenes that we are unaware of, but I do wish they would show proper husbandry

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I found the show enjoyable and the tanks awesome. The quick design elements were also good to see. I, too, would have liked to see more about filtration set up and husbandry but that isn't sexy enough for TV. Hopefully there will be more links to their site and it has been modified to give folks info about proper husbandry and tank set up. Tap water is not an issue for FO systems with the use of a chlorine remover to me. They do not always get the proper time from their customers to set a tank up right. The preview show showed the one co-owner learning to scuba dive so they have more people who can handle care of the tanks for their customers. I am certain they spend a lot of time going back and treating tanks in their maintenance side of their business.

And yes I fully expect us to have to deal with new tank owners and helping them over come this show and Nemo 2 and help them understand how to put a tank together properly.

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Pretty sure I heard one of them say "we only have access to hot water lines. Now the water from these hot water heaters is 92* F...."

*Edit. Overall the show is a great idea and the point is making us drool over the ultra creative ideas they come up with. But they are teaching unethical practice and very poor husbandry to people that don't know any better.
    They are saying "hey if you have the cash you can have this kick a$$ tank" no matter the consequence to the living creatures inside which = status symbol reefer which = not good. It doesn't matter what goes on behind the scenes because we only see the scenes. If you're going to deal with living animals and show the world a tank full of them it is your responsibility to educate and stress the importance of research before purchase.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Her New Jersey accent and nasal whine made me want to gouge my ear drums out.

I only watched the full hour so I'd have fodder for an article this morning. :)

6. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

We have to do that anyway.

Bear in mind also that this show airs on Animal Planet, not a mainstream station that everyone and their dog will watch. Also bear in mind that anyone starting a new tank isn't going to be able to do it by watching this show, they're going to have to read/ask somewhere how to do the majority of things, and also buy their equipment/livestock somewhere.

And please don't get stuck on "there's no cured live rock" -- these are fish only tanks with filtration systems, not reef tanks. Plenty of people don't have cured live rock in their tanks, including the aquariums you pay to visit!

7. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Remember this is aimed as reality TV, not serious aquarists. People outside the hobby just want to see fishies, not tanks cycling or water testing...
    This really brings the wrong message to the general public, this isn't an aquarium show" just another reality TV show. Now people will flock to LFSs and try to put 20 crates of fish into a day old biocube 8...

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Or the message will be, you have no idea what you are doing so hire a professional. Either way, I see the show as great promotion for the hobby we all love. It was also great to see one of our club members Justin Grabel, AKA: Justin Credabel, featured in the show.

10. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Hrmmm time to start thinking about an aquarium setup/maintenance business...not really as I know someone who does it and is struggling to keep clients/get them to pay with the whole economy situation.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

11. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I guess I sould go back and see this episode only then. :)

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Meh, I watched one episode last night and decided that it's not interesting enough to keep me watching. It's no different than Pawn Stars or American Pickers and since I don't care for those shows either, I guess it's just another show that I'll skip when it's on. Different strokes for different folks.