Tanked today?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Dingo, Aug 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

dude, honestly I dont want to start a war here but check your meds a little bro. it will be ok.

How much went on you didnt see behind the scene's? I'm sorry but things at face value dont fit if you RELAX a little and think about it. They were at one moment filling the tank with 90 degree water from a garden hose and a spiggot, then adding ice, then adding fish? Do you honestly really think it went down that way? When did the salt get added? EXACTLY! Made for tv drama!

One of the other posters said they havent seen any live rock. How much filtration have we seen at all? rofl dont mean its not there, jsut means you havent seen it. People been putting LR in thier sumps for years. Nothing says that is it illegal to have a DT without LR in it.

Look at what these guys do? They are professionals in a very high visibility town (Vegas). If they were a failure or homocidal fish killers they wouldnt be successful enough to have a gotten a show in the first place. Look at thier website, you dont get to that level by just chucking stuff into a tank & handing someone the bill.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I'm perfectly relaxed (honestly I find it funny), but I have seen too many lfs sacrifice fish to make more profit.

I don't doubt they put every thing together in the same day. While it is possible, I doubt they had 20 empty boxes that are supposed to have fish in them. I assume they added a little de-chlorinator, salt and set up filtration and that was it.

the more fish that die that can be passed off as expected loss, the more profit they make when people buy more.

While the second half the show was considerable better then the first, they should focus more on husbandry.

I think the show is better then nothing and pretty interesting, but it should at least mention proper husbandry.

4. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

OMG! Love that show! Setting series recording right now! :) :) :) :) :)

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I won't watch it again. That crap with the tap water and straight away adding fish... :angry:

I bet within the next couple weeks all of the reef forums are flooded with cries for help with new tanks and sick fish. Finding Nemo Syndrome x10. :(

6. dpruitt7450

dpruitt7450 Bubble Tip Anemone

I like it, I just wish they would show the filtration part. I'm the guy that says "nice tank, can I see the sump?" lol I just want to see the behind the sense more :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Sounds just like me. :p

8. Click Here!

9. Thor

Thor Coral Banded Shrimp

Me too. I wanted to see more of the ins and outs of how they make each tank operate. I agree with the criticisms so far too, but I will still probably watch. It's not perfect, but better than nothing.

Also, on good aspect is that my wife watched the show with me (who is overwhelmed by aquaria in general, although she thinks they are very beautiful) and it made it a little easier for her to digest. Now If I can just translate that into teach her the real stuff behind the scenes I just may be able to get her involved with my hopefully future tank :). I will take that for sure...

10. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

I agree that there is probably more behind the scenes than we see in the show.
    But if you own a buisness doing this why would you show 20 boxes of fish going into a tank that just got set up? Real or fake it makes them look bad to anyone that has half a brain about reef tanks.

11. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Pretty sure it wasn't hot tap water...pretty sure it was from a storage container that they brought with from out side...was hot because it is Vegas and readily hits 100 degrees...now the ice they put in sure that was probably not the best idea. But it is better then letting fish slowly suffocate in a bag. And about live rock...they are fish only tanks you don't NEED live rock. There are other places to have biological filtration.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

12. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Oh and how did they not put convict tangs into the mob tank?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk