Tanked today?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Dingo, Aug 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

LMAO!! Some people are fanatics about things. It's crazy!

2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I personally like the show and so does my fiance. Not for the informative qualities of it but for the fact that it can be funny and you can't argue with the fact that they do build crazy looking shaped tanks. In their defense of possibly mixing the saltwater and then adding fish right away, I spend a slight bit more on my salt mix purely for the fact that it can be used right away. I use the ESV B-Ionic four part mix and it works wonders. I've been in a bind, especially when moving where I've needed more saltwater and mixed this stuff up right away and used it right then. Not saying that's what they use but just some food for thought.

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

They use Coralife. On both shows that I've seen they managed to get a product placement ad in there for a second. They've also done a product placement ad for ERI, Smooth-On, and a couple of other companies I didn't recognize. One of the weird things I do is look for product placement ads while watching movies or a TV show. HowStuffWorks "How Product Placement Works"

5. dskyers

dskyers Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I enjoyed it. And so dis my friend who watched with me both episodes. But I don't like that telephone thing I thought it was really ugly and if there spending Money on custum tank and being on t.v the could of done better and plus all those damsels.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

6. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

product placement? I hadnt thought of that or looked for it, thats slick now I'm gonna have to pay more attention. lol.

I thought the telephone booth was an interesting concept. The only thing I didnt care for was it seemed like the door itself took away from the view area. The livestock choices.... meh, not really my top choices either. damsels & yellow tangs just feel so standard to me, but then again I have a couple nemo's swimming around so who am I to judge.

I have to say I am slowly starting to come around a little more & like the show more than I initially thought, but I like it for the builds & concepts. I grew up with a metal worker, machinist father and around motorcycles and stuff like that so the be creative grab a piece of whatever and build something totally unique for yourself style of shows appeal to me.

7. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

If you go on animal planets site with the link that someone posted with top five fish or something, there is another video of their top five favorite tanks they have done and they look much more natural and are huge!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Yes, except in that vid they show a tang with HLLE and detail sharks as some of the best fish for aquariums...

10. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

The B-Ionic is an incredible salt mix. I know several live goods guys at various trade shows mix it up on location and add corals immediately. I did however see some Coralife bags of salt in the show. I am pretty sure that for time sake several hours if nat days of footage ended up on the cutting room floor. I mean, it's really possible to design, build, set-up and stock a tank in 45 mins?

11. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

How do they not cycle at all? They just dump everything in.

Also, what's up with metals in the tank? Like the pay phone. Surely that has circuitry that is copper.

12. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Phone was gutted then sealed with a clear epoxy or something. I am sure they weren't exactly the one putting the video together either...they build aquariums not video editing. So they may not of even seen the video before final cut.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk