Tanked today?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Dingo, Aug 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lynnmw1208

lynnmw1208 Skunk Shrimp

I agree with all those who were disappointed in this show. You can make a show fun and put a little education in there as well. They seemed to try to put education in, but their facts were wrong. I have a feeling this show is going to make people want a saltwater tank, set it up and throw too many fish in that same day. Then all the fish will die and they will all show up here on the forums asking what is wrong with their tank as their fish are all dead. This can't be good for the hobby or the environment as tons of fish are lost in collection as it is. Not only do I get sad about a dead fish, but I also think of the impact that had on the environment as there is one less fish in the ocean and it's not alive anymore.

I really think they had a great concept with this show, but I would've appreciated a little more professionalism within it. I mean mythbusters is a great, fun show but it's also educational as well. They should have a disclaimer like mythbusters as well "don't do what we are about to do at home, we are experts" or something like that.

I'm sure there may have been some behind the scenes stuff, but they definitely left the important things out such as cycling and stuff. They could have at least mentioned it or something so the viewers don't think it's magic. I think many people will get the wrong idea definitely.

I am not sure I will watch again next week. :(

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I don't really care.

I found the show interesting. It's a little bit like ALL "reality shows"....it's not reality at all. What you saw in 1 hour (minus 20 minutes of commercials so it's really 40 minutes) was hacked to death by people who work in Hollywood Vs. the aquarium industry. Either the wife was truly afraid of the sharks or she's pretty good at acting. I honestly don't care either way. The nonsense with the shoes was staged like so many other of the shots were staged. This is not a "how to set up a reef tank" video.

As far as the water is concerned, I would never do it but the water they get in Las Vegas doesn't have a lot of farm run-off. As a result, it's low in N, P, and right out the tap, their water is very low in TDS. In fact, it's lower than many of us get after our RO/DI filters have been running a month or two.

It's not hard to stock quickly. They are using bioballs (which is exactly how I would do it), and I guarantee you that these balls weren't poured out of brand new boxes. It really isn't hard to stock quickly if you know what you're doing. However, what they stock and the combinations of fish they employ tells me one of two things:

1) They don't know crap about fish. They might know how to make awesome fish tanks, but they don't know (or care) about the needs of the fish they are using. I'm a little more than disappointed. They are putting a couple of sweetlips in a 1000 gallon tank, they are puffing up puffers for fun. They could have said, "Curt, I'll give you a supersized #1 at McDonald's if you put these inserts into this shark tank". I would have said OK. However, there would have been no drama for the commercials.

or,

2) They don't care the crap about fish. The choices they've made means that they haven't done any due-diligence whatsoever about the fish they buy. They act like it's a big deal that they go to L.A. to pick the fish out themselves, but while they know the fishes name, it's darn clear they've never kept them nor researched these fishes long-term needs.

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen more episodes.

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Great post Curt agree 100%. I think the show is entertaining, but sad at the same time... Their methods probably ensure them a lot of tank maintenance work though ;)

5. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I've heard they bleach the tank at the mirage once a year, maybe that's how they can keep the tanks so clean? Also, maybe the film is cut between filling the tank and adding fish.

6. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I've heard they bleach the tank at the mirage once a year, maybe that's how they can keep the tanks so clean? Also, maybe the film is cut between filling the tank and adding fish.

7. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Ooops, duplicate post...
    Anyway, in this video they detail the best fish for home aquaria and in the process show some brown clownfish and a Regal Tang with HLLE. So maybe they should be expecting losses. And at the end they recommend sharks as a great fish for home aquaria!?
    Tanked: Top 5 Saltwater Fish : Video : Animal Planet

8. Click Here!

9. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

i will continue to watch the show .. what inwall 75 said its a hacked and spliced video footage that may have taken weeks or months to put together, and in every show there has to some type of drama to lure people in..

keep in mind just my $.02

10. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

The show is comical. But there facts are so jacked up that it almost wants to make you get out of the game. But I am sure that their business and the warehouse in LA business will increase if it hasn't already depending on when they filmed the show.

I'm strong to the finish cause I eats me spinach. I'm ReefBruh the reefing man. Toot Toot.

11. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

1+ they didn't mention that triggers and damsels are aggressive and that sharks are hard to care for,need GIANT tanks,and can bite your finger off.!! puffing pufferfish to make fun of someone is lame. cruel to.

12. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

off topic but 100th post on here;D