Tank'd show- Instant Cycle??

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Todd_Sails, May 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tcmemphisbbq

tcmemphisbbq Spaghetti Worm

I have wondered this also, it also seems like they WAY overstock fish.... most of thier stuff seems like its fish only - Ive seen em do corals but most are fish - but some of the tanks ive watched on tv have way to many fish in them in my opinion.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

They are using pre cycled bioballs in the filtration system if I remember correctly.Using seawater does little or nothing to help cycle faster.;)

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  4. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Omg! The show is edited people! It's also made for the average persons entertainment. Also I believe by cycling they mean fish ready. I personally love the tanks they come up with. Not that I'll ever be able to afford one-lol!

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

My comment had nothing to do with the speed of the cycle. Seawater is already "cycled" and it has the same effect as filling your tank with water out of a mature tank.

6. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Still wouldn't matter. Mature water is basically worthless for any bacteria transfer, really only introduces waste into the system. It houses quantities of bacteria so low it would still need to colonize for weeks to have any nitrogen export. The cycled media is the secret here, as truly cycled rock that has little to no air exposer (ie one tank to another within an hour) will still house enough bacteria to export all waste. That being said, I think it is safe to assume they have huge losses as they dump rare, sensitive fish into a system with no regards for care ( mandarins with no pod population).

1 person likes this.
  7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

The water doesn't cycle the bacteria in your system does and since they don't live in the water column (for the most part)what we call cycling is the process in which Aerobic and anaerobic bacteria grow on surfaces and filter your water.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I think we get that. What would be nice is seeing how they do what they do. Do they preset up systems, what is the filtration etc. Just lotsa info that would be cool to know.;)

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

There cannot be much bacteria left after Catalina processes it. Its trucked in from Los Angeles.

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

So, would anyone try it the way these

'Reef Heros' do it on TV?

Everytime I seem to watch one of their shows, they seem to put the water, aquascape, and fish in all within hours, at least on the same day anyways. They often talk about doing it that way.

If in fact they are having significant livestock loss-
    I mean if they are- that ain't right!!

They should be taken off the air if so.

Lets find out, shall we?

Who's in Sin city where they are, or any other city they done a tank in? Ask the owners of the system.

12. MeTaLMaN

MeTaLMaN Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

They dont show it because it doesnt happen dont misunderstand Im not saying they never lose a fish here and their as does everyone but its not because of the way they cycle their tanks prob because of the way they stock their tanks if anything lol but it does work instantly no but it does I've seen it multiple times with my own eyes not many ppl do it because its a new thing and well ppl are afraid of trying new things specially when their taught one way for so many years. Like any new controversial method give it a few years and it will become regular practice.