Tank Transfer method - Single Spot Remains

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by rwlopez713, Jun 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rwlopez713

rwlopez713 Plankton

I just completed the 4th tank transfer over 12 days for a flame angel with ich. The Angel had a several spots that are all gone except for one. This same spot has persisted over the course of the treatment. Is it possible that this single spot is not ich. I have taken the fish out and viewed it in a clear container. The spot is white but it does not appear perfectly round. I have also been treating with PraziPro over the course of the treatment. At this point should I continue doing tank transfers. I have performed this method with several fish already with great success. I have also considered just doing a fresh water dip before I add the fish to the display. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

With your mode of treatment, I would be a little wary that there's a parasite still in there. The white spots are never actually Ich, but a product of Ich. The cytoplasm (cell guts) is opaque, so it does lend a whitish coloring being so superficial.

The parasite bores it's way into the epithelium and the skin heals over the entrance hole. There it spins and scrapes and irritates, creating food in which to eat. As it eats and grows, it stretches the skin more and more, to where the to where the products of inflammation and cellular debris can be easily seen. After the parasite matures, it busts out of the layer of skin. That flap of damaged skin eventually falls off, leaving the hole. Your little layer of skin could have healed over, sealing the fluids within and yet the parasite, like Elvis, has already left the building.

Think of them as superficial pimples. They may stick out so everyone in the world notices it, and yet it is still underneath the skin.

I would do another round of transfers if your fish can handle it.

4. rwlopez713

rwlopez713 Plankton

Great response. I was thinking that it was the damage from the cyst. The fish is doing fine so I will complete another couple of transfers as a precaution.

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Can you imagine how irritated they are with a full blown case. Poor fish.

6. rwlopez713

rwlopez713 Plankton

Interesting. What is the difference the two cyst like objects in the cell?

7. Renee@LionfishLair

I'm assuming differences in developmental age. Bigger one got their first.