Urgent Tank temp rising

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by socal86, Jun 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. socal86

socal86 Fire Worm

my 50 gallon was staying at anywhere between 7.6-78 but now the temp is rising its at 82 now but was at 86 at 5am when i left for work. it has since dropped down. my mistake was taking an acrylic piece and placing it over the top as a lid causing the temp to rise. luck enough it was caught in time before my fish and corals suffered. my return pump and in sump skimmer pumps are running cool so i know its not them rising the temp. i turned the heater down to 70 but now i cant get the temp back down any ideas?? thanks in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. duoc9119

duoc9119 Coral Banded Shrimp

Just remove the top and run a fan over the tank. It's going to take a little bit for tempts to drop just because of the waters property to hold heat.

4. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

5. psiclone

psiclone Purple Spiny Lobster

freeze a bottle of water and throw it in the sump. repeat as necessary

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I saw your thread and decided to check My tank...89.8 degrees! Luckily I only have a few dwarf hermits in there for livestock. :-/

Edit: that is with no lights or canopy on my tank...I think it got to 83 inside the house.

+1 to advice given.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

You can also go to Radio Shack and buy computer fans and install them in your stand and/or canopy.

On my 28 gallon HQI nano, I have to leave the "feeding door" in the lid open while the MH's are on. (Luckily, I don't have any "jumpers").

8. Click Here!

9. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I just switched to an Eheim pump for my return, and had my tank dro 2 degrees since the addition. Runs a lot cooler. I try to keep my house at 74 all day long. I also run LEDs to avoid heat issues. It is going to be brutal this summer...been at 95+ with 1000% humidity for the last couple weeks here. And oh yeah, no rain! Last night it was 89 outside at 10:30 PM!

10. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Google temp on natural reefs. It's been a few years but I read that the water on the reefs around the world swing way up and down constantly.

11. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Yes they do "swing" but within a very minimal range and over a prolonged period.

12. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Answers.com - What causes coral bleaching

Most reefs are on or near the equator where temps are relatively constant. Local conditions may cause short-term changes, but they're not dramatic.