tank temp pics added

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by linetrash, Jul 15, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. linetrash

linetrash Fire Shrimp

Ok so I put on a mag 9.5 I had laying around still more than you recommended I think with head loss I am eventually going to plumb a reactor into it. I will probably get a better one in the future when funding gets a little better. Thanks a ton to everyone tgat has gave me advice.
    If you have any more I would love to hear it .

2. Click Here!

3. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I would expect the mag 9.5 to not run as hot. If the return GPH is to high you can throttle down the flow by putting a gate valve on the return line. My plans are to put a tee from my pump and then add a gate valve on each side. One for my DT and the other for reactors. I can then fine tune the flow at both ends.

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Ball valves work fine for throttling a return pump, it does not have to be super precise. For small reactors though a gate would be a good idea though since you have better control with a gate or even needle valve.

I used an Ocean Runner 3500, equivalent to a Mag 9.5 but more efficient, for years on my 100G display with 30G sump and it served me well. Just in the last year or so I switched to Water Blasters and really like them, even more efficient still. There are not a lot of reviews on the DC powered pumps yet as they are relatively new on the scene so not a lot in use yet, especially long term usage. What I have been hearing has been good for the most part though.

dandk2261999 likes this.
  5. linetrash

linetrash Fire Shrimp

the smaller pump has made no difference in temp on water. so a fan tomorrow and a new more efficient pump in near future.

6. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

Is your tank located near a window? radiant heat from a window will cause temperature to go up.. If it is by a window, I would suggest that you move it to another location. That would really drop the temp of your tank.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  7. linetrash

linetrash Fire Shrimp

yeah it is actually i didn't even think of that!! moving it is not an option for now so i will find some way to minimize it. thanks

8. Click Here!

9. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

No problem, I was just thinking about basics in tanks heating up when that thought crossed my mind.

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Window tint is a good alternative and easy to install.;)