tank temp pics added

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by linetrash, Jul 15, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Sorry didn't mean to insult you.lolNot my intention.;)

2. Click Here!

3. linetrash

linetrash Fire Shrimp

No you didn't at all. What pump should I look at.
    I just mess with big wire and high voltage it's a lot easier

4. linetrash

linetrash Fire Shrimp

ok so i was looking at some dc pumps mainly the reef octopus 5500 can't find any reviews uses quite a bit less power. any thoughts or opinions?

5. linetrash

linetrash Fire Shrimp

[​IMG]
    eshops 800
    [​IMG]
    sump return mag 12

i am either going to just get a fan, or upgrade to a bigger overflow and fan/pump or upgrade pump to match the overflow????
    i hate choices.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Water blasters are good efficient pumps.Eheim while not as efficient are bulletproof.
    People also give good reviews on the Fluval line but I have never personally used them.
    Remember you don't need alot of flow through the sump.Match the flow rate as close to the flow rate of your skimmer as possible.Any more is a waste of electricity.Powerheads use alot less power and should be used to supplement the overall flow rate.
    I really don't understand why there would be a need for a controllable pump on the sump.

Zgetman likes this.
  7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

What size is your system and sump and what do you have for circulation pumps/powerheads and skimmer? The Mag 12 is known to run hot and is a pretty big pump with lots of flow but high power requirements to do so. There are much more efficient pumps in the same flow range if that is the size you need but you maye want a smaller or larger pump or even one of the new adjustable DC pumps to fit your application.

8. Click Here!

9. linetrash

linetrash Fire Shrimp

80 gallon display 20 gallon sump bubble magnus mac 7 skimmer, i potentially have 3 mp40 2 running now have to get controller fixed on other one.

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

You don't want or need a pump as large as a Mag 12 for a 80G and especially with only a 20G sump, this is surely the source of your heatat 110 watts in a very small sump, the heat has to go somewhere. A smaller more efficient pump will draw 1/3 to 1/2 that wattage and get you where you need to be.
    The velocity through the sump is tremendous so you have little retention time for the skimmer to work efficiently. I try to stick around 5x the display volume for my return flow as long as the sump can handle that. That would be 400 GPH at whatever headloss you have. But even 400 GPH through a 20G sump that probably contains 12-15 gallons of water max is pretty fast. I like a lower sump flow and make up the display circulation with much more efficient powerheads. The MP's are a good choice but you probably don't need 3 of them. Even though they are external motors they still transmit heat through the glass like a heat exchanger though not as bad as a fully submersible powerhead.

Zgetman likes this.
  11. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

AZD and Vinny give good solid advice.

I am building my sump right now and am purchasing little by little the items I need for it. I have found through research that these guys are spot on. I have a AquaC Remora skimmer, and the pump on it moves about 300gph. I will have about 100gph going through my fuge on the opposite side of the sump. So I will get a pump that can push this much water through my DT. It may be a bit bigger as I am thinking of putting a reactor or 2 on the return line.

linetrash likes this.
  12. linetrash

linetrash Fire Shrimp

Yeagh they do I appreciate all the help