tank temp pics added

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by linetrash, Jul 15, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. linetrash

linetrash Fire Shrimp

Bump

2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Try the little 6" or 7" clip on fans from WalMart or the hardware store. They are two speeds and with the clip are easy to mount. 120v but they last forever.
    In my canopy I have two of the 120mm computer fans, both blowing in and powered by a small plug in "wallwart" power supply that has variable DC voltage from 0-12v so I can vary the fan speed according to the cooling needs. I think JBJ and a few others have small computer type fans that clip on the rim.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I can't see how the tank gets to 80 degrees. What pump are you using?

5. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

Honestly don't think 80 is anything to be concerned about ..Like AZD said above ,the swings are what you have to worry about ..If it stays 78-81 all the time ,then just let it be ..

6. Roccus

Roccus Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I generally keep my tank @ 78...my problem in the summer is my home is not air conditioned... and in my neck of the woods prolonged heat spells are not common.. with my fresh water tanks, if the tanks gets to 85 it's not an issue.. but being a relative Salt water reef newbie, I fear ( the S/W tank)that when it got to 83 last week something bad might happen to the corals .. so I took 10' length of 1/2" nylon tube and coiled it up and secured the coil with tie wraps (plastic).. I placed the tube/coil in the return chamber of my sump and put one end on a 500GPH pump the other returned to the container to create a closed loop.. I filled the container with ice and enough water to cover the pump.. plugged in the pump and in 4 hours had the tank down to 78...with a little luck I wont have to do it again this summer

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I figured if your house stays at 74 that it's air conditioned. 80 isn't bad. If the house is constant 74 then I just can't see how the tank is 80 degrees. Maybe try a different thermometer.

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Some pump brands such as Mag and Quiet One do run very hot and can raise a tank temperature significantly. Others are more efficient and run much cooler plus use less energy.

A description or photos of your system would help all of us, we are all just guessing now without knowing what you have, how it is plumbed and what is in it.

linetrash likes this.
  10. linetrash

linetrash Fire Shrimp

I have a mag 12 pump and eshops overflow. Have three thermometers in it right now. Heater unplugged. I was thinking of getting a bigger overflow that can keep up with the pump get the water circulated more.

I am just worried about it for the fact it don't give me as much cushion on temp raise for some unforeseen problem

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I am just assuming but if you are a line man you should be well aware of the benefits of a cooler more efficient pump.Mag drives are not one of them.Ditch it and your temp. will surely fall along with your electric bill.

12. linetrash

linetrash Fire Shrimp

Yeah you would assume. That's what I was told to use as a newbie from lfs guy! (Still am one but let's not dwell on my short comings)