Resolved Tank temp high for no reason

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by DBOSHIBBY, Aug 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I learned my lesson with Mag pumps. Even the little Mag 2 on my calcium reactor was raisong the tep of a 100G reef 2 degrees! Just for kicks I bought a couple large rubbermaid totes and did some non scientific testing using a high dollar digital AC thermometer, a 10 psi pressure gauge, ball valves, 1" flow meter and some tubing and a Kill A Watt meter.

I tested Eheim 1260 and 1262, Mag 2,3,7 and 9.5, Ocean Runner 2500 and 3500, Via Aqua 4900 I believe it was, Quiet One 4000 and 2200, Rio Hyperflo 24 and various MJ, Penguin, AC and other small powerheads.

I first took all the larger pumps out to my swimming pool and set them on the first step so I had basically 0 head and tested them wide open with the flow meter and Kill A Watt.

This was several years ago and I no longer have the data but it may still be on RC somewhere. The Ocean Runner 3500 was the most efficient of the bunch, it pumped slightly more than its rated 900 GPH or whatever it is and at less than the nameplate watts so the watts per gallon produced was the best. The Eheims were a close second followed by the Quiet One 4000 then the Hyperflo and the Mag 9.5 which drew more than the rated watts but produced very close to its rated capacity though.

I then started valving the discharge down on each to see how well they handled head pressure. again the ORs and Eheims came out on top. The Mag handled head pretty good but was warm to the touch at this point but since it was in the swimming pool I could not quantify the heat. The Queit One was the hottest of the bunch.

Next I placed each one in a tub of water and let it run all by itself over several hours.

The Mags and the Quiet Ones were very hot, again I don't remember the exact numbers but noticably hotter than all the others.

After all this testing I was home one day and noticed my tank was not looking normal. I started checking things out and found the Quiet One 4000 on the closed loop was so hot I could not lay my hand on it for any length of time. When I reached in the tank I felt a tingle (I didn't have a ground probe) so stuck a meter in the tank and found stray voltage. I disconnected the QO and the voltage went away. I also noticed the tank was very warm, the pump had shorted and was still running but had electrified the tank and raised the temp to like 85 degrees!
    Needless to say it was replaced with a Ocean Runner 3500 I had as a spare for my return pump. The temp went back down to 79 by the next day.

Within a few months I was under the stand doing something and I felt a water mist hit me in the face. After poking around I found the Quiet One 2200 circulating water in the calcium reactor had a pinhole completely through the motor windings and was spraying water right on an outlket strip, glad I was home to catch it as it was about ready to trip a GFCI.
    I replaced that QO with a Mag 2 and again noticed the temp in my tank going up.
    I trashed the Mag 2 and replaced it with a Hydor Seltz 25 and other than having a heck of a time sealing it up its been great and the temp went back down.

The moral of the story is Mag pumps are inefficient and create gobs of heat. I use them in the winter time for mixing water in a trash barrel when I need to raise the temperature, thats the only time they come out of the cupboard. Quiet Ones are horrible too, I thought one might be a fluke but two was no coincidence.

Ocean Runner, Eheim or maybe the Water Blaster if one of the others goes out from now on. The Rio Hyperflo impeller swelled up after a few months so it would not even turn on the ceramic shaft and Taam would not warranty it. The Via Aqua also had problems with a swollen impeller magnet that is now almost bannana shaped!

Wish I had kept my notes but I did it for RC back when I was on Team RC and welcome there.

I also have a RKL and in the last moth or two my iTemp probe has been drifting high then returning to normal. Last week I noticed it now says iTemp error. Guess its time to get on the DA Forum and see whats up.

2. Click Here!

3. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

I ahd a QO4000 that I used as a closed loop pump. it MELTED THE CARPET! Never again will I have one of those. I did love my mag 9.5 although it did add heat. now all my pumps are external.