Tank structure

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by nemo79, May 12, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Well we are always talking about our corals, fish, and invert care but we rarely discuss tank structure and stability. How do you know how stable and strong your tank is? How much weight and abuse can they handle, or how do you generally know if you have a leak. I mean you would obviously tell there is a leak if it's a big one but what if they are small leaks. How much can the bottom glass take?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: I've noticed a theme with your recent posts nemo....have you been having dreams of exploding/leaking tanks or something? ;D

4. wswensonjr

wswensonjr Astrea Snail

That is a very good question and I do have that always set in the back of my head. It would be a very scary thought to have a tank leak or brake. Not only for you as an owner but for the fish and coral inside. Especially if it happens when your not home or at night sleeping. :-/

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well rest assured that if you stay with the hobby long enough a tank will break or blow a seam.. Anything that was designed to contain any liquid will at some point LEAK! not if but when.. My last blow out was in 99 180gallons on the second floor built into a wall :) 2:30 AM Sunday morning.. That was a long night and by 12:00 it had been totally replaced and I lost nothing but sleep..

6. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp

Scary

wow scary thoughts I hope I can sleep tonight! lol!

7. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Oh I haven't been having nightmares...just more concerns. I think I wonder toooo much about the fact that these things do happen and I like to be prepared in the event it ever did.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

A large string mop several good buckets and a wet vac is a nice option :)

10. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Yes I think I am going to invest in a wet vac.

11. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp

Nice well stands that have closed bottoms put my mind to ease.

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

A nice strong stand will help immensely as well as a strong supporting floor. Weight will be disbersed over the length of the stand thus lessening and evening the load associated with the weight of the tank and its contents!