Tank Stand Build!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by brew0688, Jan 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

yep I have a few and can take more tommorrow. Hears a few:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

those are the ones I have at work If you need more let me know what you need them of. i am going to let the trim across the top hide the bottom of the tank LOL (P.S. I didnt mean to steal your thread.)
    I

2. Click Here!

3. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

great looking stands guys....

4. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what to do with the trimmings as well. Lol, you didn't steal the thread. Are these pictures from a while ago, or are you in the process right now of the build? What size is your sump?

Thanks Jeff! I'll keep posting as I go along.

5. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

Going to have to put this thread on pause. I'm relatively sure my rotator cuff is now torn from my collar bone injury.

:-/

6. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

Annnd the Orthoepdic Surgeon said I'm good to start using my arm! I drove 150 miles yesterday to pick up a 75G tank and stand I found on craigslist. It came with a skimmer, wet/dry filter + return pump, HOB overflow, and 60lbs of AWESOME live rock. I got it for 100 bucks!

The tank itself needs some work, and the stand that it came on is a piece of crap, obviously I'm going to use mine, since this is a stand build thread. :)

I'll be redoing the silicone in black, and posting pictures of the process.

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

congrats on the speedy recovery brew0688

glad the build is back in progress
    seems like you got a great deal

look forward to seeing images of what you got

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

Thanks Steve. I still have to have an MRI next week to figure out if I need surgery or not, but the doc said that I need to be using my arm a lot to keep it from freezing up. It hurts, but I can deal with it. The one thing that is impossible to do, is sleep... which is fantastic, because I sit up all night reading this forum. lol.

Here is a picture of what I got. I don't have a shot of the live rock.
    As I said, the stand and canopy will be getting tossed, they're both really rough. There is some sort of much older coralife 48" fixture in there. It's more than likely in need of new bulbs, but it'll have to do until I order a new fixture.

I'm going to have to do some research on redoing the silicone. I'll start that project up tomorrow.

Attached Files:

10. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

Oh, and a brand new bucket of salt too! Just when I ran out at home! lol

11. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

So I should rename this thread "75G build"

When I picked up the tank pictured above, it was in a pretty dark garage. I knew it was going to be slightly rough, and wanted to back on out the buy, but the couple I was picking it up from looked as though they were going through some real financial difficulties, so I took it anyway.

The package included; the tank, stand, canopy, heater, wet/dry with overflow and return pump, a skimmer, an older coralife CF light, a huge bucket of reef crystals salt, and most importantly, a good amount of pretty awesome rock.

Today I gave the tank a really close inspection. It needs new silicone, and has some pretty bad scratches on it. I did some research on getting them out, and frankly, I'm not interested in trying at this point. I'm going to re-list the tank, stand, canopy, light, overflow and return pump on craigs for $100 bucks, which is what I paid for it. That way, even if I get 80 bucks for the whole thing, I'd have paid $20 for some really nice rock.

I'll be "Nuking" the rock over the next few weeks... It doesn't look to have anything too crazy on it, but it has been out of the water for a good few days now, and I'd rather just use it as base rock for the new aquascape.

Hitchikers so far include 1 medium size bristle worm, and a very large german cockroach. :p

I'll be going to Lowe's tomorrow to pick up a few more things for the stand build, and ordering a 75G with a built in overflow when I get my tax return ;)

Stay posted, I'm always camera happy, and appreciate the advice along the way. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  12. Avenger

Avenger Plankton

It’s better and cheaper to build a tank stand, rather than purchasing it.