Tank Size for oscar

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by oakvad, Sep 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oakvad

oakvad Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So heres th ?
    Ive got 2 albino oscars and a pleco in a 56 gal tall and im hearing from numurous poeple the tank will be to small for them, but im also hearing from about the same amount of poeple it will be fine just keep it clean.

Any input

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

it's to small, ideal would be 50 gallons per oscar, so you would need 100 gallons

4. pks4life420

pks4life420 Fire Worm

that rule was made up 18yeaRS AGO OR SO....If your filteration is good you should be fine but I would go i min of 75 but thats me

5. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

over the years i have seen oscars 12" or more in size and kept in 200 gal. and larger systems

6. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Its really the footprint you should be considering over the over all gallonage. Fish don't swim up all that often, and territorially aggressive species need floor space. Oscars get big fast and are very messy fish. Larger tanks not only accommodate their physical size but also help offset their huge bio-load. I would agree a standard 75 with a 48" x 18" footprint for the adult pair unless you want more fish then something more like a 125+ is in order.

~Will.

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

+1 on above for me Oakvad

most general guidance is based on min sized - but IMO - there is no max size limit
    They are fine while they are small, but when they grow, you need to either get a larger tank or maybe swap them at the LFS - which is always difficult as they do have personalities and they do become pets IME

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. oakvad

i deffinatly agree on the personality they are smarter than my kids, oh didnt mean to say that out loud. lol...
    I just came across an old friend that is hooking me up with a 125 with skimmer and canister and a bunch of poewr heads, so looks like this is gonna turn into my reef.

YEAH!!!!

now i just need to find a place to put it in my small house.

Just wondering, can i put some live rock and salt and a fish and start the cycle with the water already in it?

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Oakvad do you mean

remove the freshwater fish from the current set up
    then add salt mix to the water to turn it into saltwater tank?

I have converted FW tanks to SW a few times and each time I did it I

emptied them
    stripped them down
    discarded any filter medium as I believe the bacteria is different between fresh and salt
    (although I would probably boil something like Bioballs to clean them as they would be re useable IMO) but would throw away any pads etc sponges.

re set up tank using new water (RO or RODI)
    then added salt to correct SG
    started cycling process 1 week later with a YTB Damsel.

Steve

11. oakvad

ya take the fish and plants out. I wasnt sure i just thought it might be doable but your right its different bacteria.

Thats why i asked though just to make sure, the wife is VERY impatient thats why i had the problems with my tanks now, hurry ,hurry, hurry. BIG NO NO

1 person likes this.
  12. oakvad

Just picked up a 90 for my oscars, cleaning it out now and will post some pics when its up and running