Tank Setup

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Mikeyb, Apr 27, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Get an Ro/di unit, you'll be much happier. They will pay for themselves in the first month. I trusted a few LFS with water and I ended up with hair algae from stores not changing membranes and resins regularly. For a while I bought distilled until I got a ro/di unit.

2. Click Here!

3. Mikeyb

Mikeyb Bristle Worm

How many gallons do you usually get out of the ro/di before neading to change the filters?

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

A lot. I was told every 6 months. There not expensive. I got a dual in line TDS meter to help me see when my filters need replaced.

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

+1

I am on well water as well and it usually has less in it than tap water out of a well.

6. mdbostwick

You are gonna have to tell me where I can get one of these!

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Depends on the filters you buy. I change out my 5 micron sediment filter every other week, 1 micron filter every two months, carbon every 4 months, DI every 4-6 months, and RO membranes ? (two years in use and still going strong). You can buy more expensive sediment filters that should last longer.

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Filter life will also depend on your water. I.E.- if your TDS reading is 150, your filters will last much longer than if it was 400.

10. Mikeyb

Mikeyb Bristle Worm

Allrighty here is another question, I have never used sand before only crushed coral that was close to the size of gravel, when I put the base sand in rinse it first in a bucket with tap water? then when I add the live sand to the tank add water in came in and all them mix together with the other sand? and lastly when I put my rock in should I seat it on top the sand or push it down to the glass?

11. mdbostwick

I would use ro/di.

I would add as little of the water it comes in as possible.

If you can, put the rock in first and put the sand in afterward. This way if you get a goby or something that likes to play in the sand, he doesn't tunnel under a rock and cause an avalanche. If the sand is in first. Try to get the rock as much on the bottom as possible.