Resolved TANK SALINITY high help please! 32

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Rogues, Nov 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rogues

Rogues Spaghetti Worm

again what does RO mean? water at my house is on a water softener due to a well we use salt in that so uhm doubt thats a good idea

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

RO = reverse osmosis - a water purification system which passes the water through a membrane that removes dissolved solids ( or most of them anyway)

+1 on getting a double check on your salinity - you dont want to start adding freshwater if your not 100% certain your measure is accurate (a refractometer is a great investment)

if reading does turn out to be accurate
    reduce it gradually to 1.023 - 1.026 ( anywhere in that range is good IMO)- no more than 1 point in 24 hours - by removing salt water from your tank and replacing with new freshwater RO? or RODI

Steve

4. scubba.steve

scubba.steve Coral Banded Shrimp

Man honestly you need to do ALOT of research.
    Salinity being high is a simple fix.
    Just remove some and replace with either RO = Reverse Osmosis water, or some spring water

5. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

the hydrometer is more than likely inaccurate.... but it will have to do for now.... is it brand new, old, have you cleaned it with vinegar lately????

Use ro water in it and it should be on 0.000

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

agreed with the above said. you need to take some of the water in your tank, and add fresh water.no saltwater..( just restating to avoid confusion)

and do it slowly. try to lower it to 1.028-27 and tomorrow you lower it to 1.025-24. and you should be fine.
    how did it got that high in the first place?

RO= reverse osmosis... this is the water you buy at your LFS if you do. ( explained better above)

+ on double checking by trying with fresh water ans see that there is no salt.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  7. tatted4ever

ROGUES..... whered ya go?

8. Click Here!

9. Rogues

Rogues Spaghetti Worm

I just put about a cup and a half in of RO it was labeled RO on the gal jug of drinking water. Yeah I feel stupid about all this and need some direction and reading pls advise on that too if you can

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

if you don't have ro water at your home, maybe you can see if an lfs is open, they usually sell ro/di water, i don't have an ro/di unit so that's how i get mine. But most people prefer to mix their own water. good luck, hope your able to get it down

11. tatted4ever

a stupid person wouldnt ask for help here on 3reef :)

cup and a half wont do a damn thing on a 90.... sorry

If you have at least 2-3 gallons of ro water or even bottled gallons distilled water from the grocery store that will get you through the night. Distilled water in this situation only... not recommended as your source of water

Rogues we are all reading this trying to solve a mystery.... give all details.

howd this happen? are fish doing well? what kind? so on and so forth

12. Rogues

Rogues Spaghetti Worm

I added a 30 pound bag of sand after I washed with RO then I put the fish's own water on it and mixed it with my hand . I had 2 clowns (true) a sailfin tang and two others i have no idea what they are plus a star and a bottom feeder little fish that has big outward fins