Tank restart problems

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Kadoogen, Jun 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

I recently restarted a tank from scratch due to a crazy cyno problem. I got the new tank setup with dead rock. Nothing from the old tank went in the new tank except the fish and a very small scraping of purple corline algae. Everything was fine until 3 days ago the water started to turn green and everything is starting to turn green. Thought this might be a new tank bloom so I cut off the lights yesterday for a 3 day of darkness period. I came home today and the water clarity is HORRIBLE and there is green all over the glass despite lights off all day. I am running plenty of GFO and Carbon. I did a 25% water change yesterday and didn't seem to help and looks to be getting worse. Any suggestions?

My water chemistry is fine but as follows.
    temp 76
    SG 1.023
    nitrates 0
    nitrites 0
    harness(didnt test , test expired)
    phosphates 0-0.25ppm

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Looks like your phosphates are high despite the GFO use.What water are you using for making saltwater and for topoff? What and how much are you feeding and how are you using the GFO?

4. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

My phosphates are only 0-0.25 tho, very minimal for an outbreak this big and for a tank this new. I have my GFO and carbon in BRS media reactors. I use a 4 stage for my water with 0PPM output into the tank. I use reef crystals that I make as needed. I am feeding once daily flakes with very little waste. I do not currently have a clean up crew tho because the tank is so nutrient low, it cant handle one yet. I am doing everything by the book I don't get it!

5. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

It does seem odd,I don't think I've seen an outbreak like that except in a older system that's been neglected.I know you tried lights out but is there any chance the tank is getting some direct sunlight that might have started this off?

6. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Put a UV sterilizer on it.

7. Runninglite

Runninglite Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Your phosphate reading i guess would be inacurate because if algea using it but i am very skeptical about phosphate tests,I would continue with water changes and make sure that its ro,how much are you feeding fish and are your bulbs new,? Or maybe another light source?

8. Click Here!

9. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

I just replaced 3 out of 4 bulbs about 3 weeks ago. 36watt T5VHO. I have one 460nm bulb that is aprox 6 months old that needs replacing soon. I did cover a window today that is near the tank but I have black plastic liner on the back that blocks all light but I suppose some could have made it in. Im gonna do another 10 Gallons today and change my filter floss again, I hope it helps

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

It looks like a bacterial bloom to me mixed in with a little algae. Do not use too much carbon and GFO. The recommended doses are usually a tad on the high side to what you actually need.I usually use half to a quarter the ammount suggested.It should disappear by itself.As long as the fish are eating and seem unaffected I wouldn't panic and make things worse.Time is your best friend in SW.Good luck.

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

how big is the tank? how long was it doing ok? I think the UV would be good if you have one. Obviously you need to figure out what's fueling it. It doesn't make sense though given your description of everything you've got and done...?