Tank Repair

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by fbird, Dec 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

Yeah I'd put a sump under the tank. I'd give the glass circle with silicone a week before it pops out from the pressure the water would put on it.

2. Click Here!

3. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

On the freshwater side of things over the years I have seen glass 'patches' work but more often then not seen them fail.

Either plumb and use the extra holes or plumb and cap for future use (with a valve so you can add to the plumbing without taking tank down).

Do not chance a silicone flat seal to hold long haul. you fish coral and everything posibly hit by a gush of salt water is just not worth the extra few bucks to cap them .

4. fbird

fbird Astrea Snail

Thank you Zoban. I was wondering about the glass patch. The guy at the LFS thought they would work but I wasn't as sure. I was hoping someone would have experience with this.

I have the bulkheads for both holes but just need to get the plugs for them.

5. fbird

fbird Astrea Snail

Magnus, yes you have it right. There is one huge hole in the lower back of the tank in the overflow box and one smaller hole in the back of the tank. That is great idea about the big return pump. I planned to use a T'd loc line for 2 outlets originally. I have a mag 5 to use as a return pump. Do you think that would be strong enough for 2 return lines? I will also have the mag 3 from my current tank but not sure if I will have the space for 2 pumps in the 15 gal high sump or the volume of water from the overflow to keep everything flowing properly.

Thank you for the help

Shawn

6. fbird

fbird Astrea Snail

Do you have any online store recommendations for finding a plug that big? I haven't been having much luck?

Thanks

Shawn

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Marine Depot has a good selection of parts. You may have to use reducers and caps to make a plug.

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

10. fbird

fbird Astrea Snail

11. fbird

fbird Astrea Snail

Thanks 2in10. I checked Marine Depot but didn't have any luck. The site Magnus posted has just what I needed though.

Shawn

12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

It's a great site and not overpriced at all. Unfortunately I found out about them late after finishing my plumbing. I would have done things differently.

Glad it worked out!!

- Mag.