Tank Profiler

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by serotonin, Nov 12, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

Thanks!

My plan, that I've never really though about till now, follows:

Ideally I would like to make this available to anyone who wishes to use it. Of course, with the features something like this provides there will be costs in terms of bandwidth and server hardware. I'm lucky enough to have access to both at the present time through the company I work for. Thus, preserving the "free for everyone" approach I'm striving for. For now, while I'm doing the bulk of development work, hosting the site on my cable modem at home, on my p2 350 linux box (junk!), is working out for now. I plan to get a new server in the rack here at work by the end of the year. Hopefully by then there will be a rock-solid application that is beyond the alpha stage it's truly in at the moment. I just need the equipment and an OK from the company owner to host here. Neither of which should be a problem.

For the time being I have to limit the amount of people who are able to use it to maybe 20 or so. We currently have approx 10 so there is some room left for others who wish to help test and begin using the profiler. Once I get setup here at work, that will all change :)

For the time being, only 3reef members are using the profiler. (short of 2 personal friends of mine). I'd like to keep it that way, at least for now. In the future, who knows, I'm open to anything! :D :D This community is my primary focus on people to satisfy, so if you see something you like, or don't like :) , please let me know!

Lunch break is over, back to the grind!

Cheers all, hope I didn't bore you too much!

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I appreciate you opening this up to some 3reef members. 8)
    I am currently putting my ducks in a row to upgrade all the software running on 3reef. When I am done I would like to revisit this and see if I can help you out and come up with a plan to open this up more if you are game! I'll send you a PM.

4. serotonin

Jeez, I forgot one thing to mention about this system. I have a working test system too. Through an administration panel I am able to create tests, questions, and answers. There's a complete reporting tool that I've created for this as well.

As far as the uses for something like this, I'm not sure where it could be used but the possibility exists! Ideas on that anyone? I'll put up some screen shots of this tomorrow.

I did change around the left menu today, hopefully it's more user friendly to those who aren't logged in at any given point and time.

Last, I'm curious to hear some more opinions from those who may have looked at this but not said much. Please feel free to say whatever is on your mind, in a post or PM. This site can be whatever WE make of it.

Thanks all for your support

5. nait002

nait002 Plankton

Looking good Ryan. The only things so far I thought of is a place to document Magnesium and maybe a calender you can type in for maintenance.(water change schedule,dosing). Just a thought..........Are you coming over Thurs.?

6. serotonin

Thanks! :)

I'll add the magnesium parameter now. I think the calendar idea is excellent and I will add it to my to-do list :) See ya Thursday :)

EDIT: All, I'm currently working on the CSS, getting it to 100% compliant. The look&feel in Internet Explorer is pretty screwed up for the time being. Looks perfect in Firefox tho!

7. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I think it looks pretty sweet.
    There are soe free ones also that you can download but this yours has a better look and feel.
    One thing that I have always wanted was the ability to have a graph posted on my recordings. It would be pretty sweet to see the trends so you can see what changes with what. Like Alk and Calcium and so forth. That would also help to see when your heading to some kind of crash or algae outbreak before it gets to that point.
    Other than that very nice work.

8. Click Here!

9. serotonin

I too wanted to see graphs, that we do have. The trends are something I have planed for the future. I'm still trying to devise a quality algorithm for analyzing the data that's recorded, but I have a good enough start for now. The only thing needed is more data :)

Currently the graphs have "Suggested Parameters" laid out with green lines while your plot line is blue. I will eventually add more info to those graphs as the data sets grow, as an option of course. Hopefully that B+ I got in Data Mining will pay off there :)

I'm glad to see you suggest these features!

Thank you! :)

PS: There's still room for about 10 more people to sign up.

1 person likes this.
  10. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

Very nice.
    I will try to sign up next week if I get the opp.
    This weekend is moving into the new house so I have room for the 180gal

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Serotonin, Nice set-up and alot of nice features!

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Sign me up...I have a few minutes to spare in between water changes/feedings and the like each day so why not focus the whole day on my tanks)hahaha)-besides FOOTBALL season is over for me as the MINNESOTA VIKINGS suck*&*&^^%$$##$%678!
    No, seriously, I think you are on to something good-you have a great thing going which will provide us(reefers) with valuable info etc.!