Tank overrun by majano

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by GjB, Dec 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Well go slow and get the rock under control first. Remember I went back to sand but I still like BB very much and it helps to make sure you do not have a re-infestation of majano in the near future.

Glad I could help, keep a couple batches of new SW on hand and test if you see stressed fish and corals.

Good luck, may the force be with you.

2. Click Here!

3. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

Powerhead:
    [​IMG]
    Is now soaking along with the biocube's stock pump output head that was just as bad:
    [​IMG]
    I just cleaned the stock pump with the last WC.

4. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

Thank you for the words of wisdom. I am going to go the dead rock route and BB for now to get this majano infestation out of control. I will add substrate later. Am I safe to just take the LR out and put dead rock in?

5. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

Also, what type of tool should I use to scrape the back wall? It's full of algae, majano, and other stuff.

6. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

Not to worry! My only plans for this tank in the near future, are to eradicate the majano, not buy any new corals or livestock, but keep the ones I have healthy in a cleaner looking environment. Less is more.

7. Corailline

If you remove the rock and add new dry rock and remove the sand bed you remove the largest part of the biological filter. You either have to

1. Cycle the rock and wait to remove the sand until the rock is cycled.
    2. Buy fully cured live rock and you can do a direct switch and then switch out the sand the same time

If you have floss or sponge currently in the tank keep it seeded, do not clean the back chambers if this tank has back chambers.

I used a credit care, my back black wall scratches easily so I used a sponge too.

Do not disturb the sand bed until you have removed as much water and all the rock and all the live stock. Then use a bowl or something to scoop it out, rinse and add FW and siphon out and rinse again and repeat.

There is a very good chance you will have a mini cycle if you try to clean everything at one time and only use dry rock.

Be prepared.

8. Click Here!

9. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

Since I'd be spending money on rock anyway, I think I'll spend the extra money on cured LR with no visible hitchhikers (last time I unknowingly went for the LR with the most visible life on it...big mistake). Those green polyps pictured in my fts have also overrun my tank and those were hitchhikers. I will also try a thin base of sand because I am sick of my CC.

10. Corailline

Yeah go with aragonite, it's a much better substrate IMO.

I am sure you will enjoy your tank more once you get the over haul under way and done. It's very motivating.

11. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

My LFS only has live rock, so who is the best dry rock online vendor?

12. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

...decided against fully cured LR because I want a clean slate and don' t want to battle with a mantis shrimp like last time.