Tank overrun by majano

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by GjB, Dec 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Does the current sand have majano on it?

What I did was cycle the rock for two weeks. In two weeks I moved everything into a big plastic container with a power head and all the tank water ( mine was only about 20 gallons), then when I lowered the water level as much as I could I manually removed the sand.

After I rinsed the tank with FW several times and scraped any majano off walls or power heads, then I filled the tank back up with the old water, added the rock that had been cycling and put in the live stock.

I kept sponges (mechanical filtration) to help seed the tank, I did not rinse it.

Next I did more frequent water changes for the next month. Currently I have an minor issue with Cyanobacteria but besides that it went pretty smoothly.

Look at my thread "Cheryl's JBJ" that pretty much documents how it turned out and how it's going.

2. Click Here!

3. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

Searching now thanks!

4. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

My emperor angel ate every thing in the tank in 3 days, he might not get it all in 3 days, but I'm sure the greedy bugger would eventually !

Agree with everyone else, strip, boil and start again

5. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

I'm ashamed to post this case of tank neglect :(
    [​IMG]

6. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

Hair, cyano, and velvet OH MY

I'm ready to do right by my tank and rebuild. I just need to do a lot of reading on the proper way. I'm reading through 37 pages of your thread now Cheryl.

See my Koralia Nano covered in plastic-like stuff? How should I get that off? Soak in vinegar and water then scrub with a brush?

7. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

Also, my back wall is covered in algae and majano. How should I remove that when rebuilding? The tank js so bad that majano is even growing in my intake (pictured) and rear chambers. How do I clean those out?
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

Btw, the only other tank I have available is just the old lidless/filterless/lightless Eclipse 12 gallon acrylic on the far right:
    [​IMG]
    Hoping for step-by-step instructions on the best way to rebuild with the tools available.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

OMG you poor soul.:cheesy:

To clean pumps and power heads, I remove them from the tank and soak them in a diluted vinegar solution for about thirty minutes. You do not need a strong vinegar solution and do not let it sit for more than an hour or so. After that I rinse and stick it back in the tank.

Either FW or Vinegar (never in the tank) for soaking and killing unwanted critters.

You have some corals hanging in there so you have something to work with.

If that is a smaller AIO tank like a biocube or nanocube you might just want to get rid of that rock and get some new dry rock. If you have Majano in the sand bed though they will just come back if you do not eradicate them as well.

11. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

I just started filling the spare tank with 0 tds water and am also adding salt as I filter water (pitcher by pitcher because I use a zero water pitcher)....lengthy process that I go through with every WC :(

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  12. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

I'm going to dispose of my cc substrate and either get new or go BB (you've inspired me)