Tank overrun by majano

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by GjB, Dec 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

By the time you will get rid of all of them with any method, it would be easier to just get new rock and sand. Plus you wont need to worry about missing one and resarting the whole process again.
    You can always recoup some costs by selling your old rock once its dried out.

The app called tapatalk? Deffinitely get it if so. I use it all the time. Great app.

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Tapatalk is great.

You need to upload your pic to a site like photobucket then post the img link photobucket provides.

4. Denbf58

Denbf58 Plankton

5. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

What are some easy methods of taking all of my LR out of the tank and killing everything on it? I basically want to turn it into base rock.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Simple, remove it let it dry out for a day or two and recycle in a separate container.

Just keep in mind that when you disturb the rock work you may run into issues with water chemistry. Test your parameters for ammonia and nitrates and have water made for WC as indicated, some new carbon does not hurt either.

7. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

I don't want to dry it out in my basement because all the decay will stink. It is currently freezing outside, where I live. Will the freezing temps still allow everything to die?

What method, and for how long will i need to recycle the rock? I have a shrimp & two gobies that will get stressed without their cave. I figured that enough beneficial bacteria would remain in my biocube, that I might not have to recycle in another tank. Thanks for your help.

8. Click Here!

9. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

My apologies for sounding like a noob again :)

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes leaving it out in the cold over night will kill everything.

Rinse it and then put it in a separate container with SW to cycle for approximately 2 weeks.

My goby did fine without any sand so I imagine your shrimp and gobies will be fine without rock. You can always go buy a medium size piece of dry rock and put it in the tank for them.

No apologies needed. :)

11. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

And the substrate...When should I take the old out (when the rock comes out)? Should I cycle the new substrate with the rock in the other tank?

Will my fish and shrimp (only invert) be fine with no substrate or rock!?

12. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

Also, these majano have become such a problem that I'm sure they are also in my BioCube's hard to reach chambers. Any ideas how to eradicate those?