Tank over run with hairy mushrooms.

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Greg9MM, Dec 27, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

I have hundreds of them and they have taken over my tank. I am looking for suggestions on how to cut them back. I tried using a scissor to cut the ones that were encroaching on other corals but it just shrivels up and I get nowhere. Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

use a razor blade and tongs then kalk the base

barbianj likes this.
  4. Ocean passion

Ocean passion Plankton

Just use a razor blade. Slide it horizontally up under neath and cut it off at the base. Now there is a chance that the left over tissue may regrow into a new shroom. However if this happens just cut it off again. Theres no need to caulk anything. FYI if you place the cut mushrooms in a low flow environment with Rubble Rock it will attach itself again. At which point you trade the mushrooms frag to a LFS for credit.

5. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

Thanks for the help guys.
    As for trading the mushrooms, I cant even give them away. lol

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

If you kalk the base after you cut the mushroom then it won't grow back so I agree with Alex and would take his advice if your trying to rid that area of mushrooms. Kalk meaning Kalkwasser paste.

7. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

To be honest, I am lazy and the spot that I wanted to get too was too tough to use a blade to cut the base. I the shroom with a scraper until it closed almost all the way up. I then kalked it and I think it worked. Thnks for the help.

8. Click Here!

9. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

If you're looking to give them away, Im your guy! Feel free to PM me. Im not sure where in Jersey you are but I have been known to make road trips there for tank stuff!