Urgent Tank in crisis

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Jay1982, May 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. eelgirl

eelgirl Feather Duster

i agree. here is a quote i found about reusing plastic bottles. if it does this to US. just imagine what it does to your FISH..."
    Reused Plastic Bottles Can Leach Toxic Chemicals
    The same studies found that repeated re-use of such bottles—which get dinged up through normal wear and tear and while being washed—increases the chance that chemicals will leak out of the tiny cracks and crevices that develop over time. According to the Environment California Research & Policy Center, which reviewed 130 studies on the topic, BPA has been linked to breast and uterine cancer, an increased risk of miscarriage, and decreased testosterone levels."

2. Click Here!

3. Jay1982

Jay1982 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

eelgirl, you are absolutely right. Normally plastic bottles are the bane of my existence. However I had seen other people use them in some diy setups and assumed they were harmless. I`m sure they played a factor in the issues that transpired the last few days.

As of now all my fish seem fine except my flame angel who still seems skitterish. I`ve done 4 water changes of about 15-20% each.

4. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

sorry to hear about your lose of fish

carbon and water changes are going to be your saving grace right now to keep everything from getting worse. I would also conncider doing some agressive swet skimming to try and gat alot of the excess out of teh water.

5. Jay1982

Well, last night and today I lost the rest except for the Hippo tang. I also tested for stray voltage which came up empty. I re-tested my ammonia yesterday morning and it now reads 0. Could there be something else I am missing or are the remaining die offs due to the previous high levels of ammonia present last week? If I can at least save my hippo tang that would be nice....

6. howsboutafiver

howsboutafiver Banned

How much sand do ya got, and make sure you stir sand monthly, if not then BOOM, tank crashes

7. howsboutafiver

howsboutafiver Banned

Bonjour, jai crayone est jaune et grande

8. Click Here!

9. Jay1982

I have a good amount, to be honest I can't remember the amount. I had a yellow head sleeper goby that sitrred the sand quite a bit.

The hippo is still holding on but he alternates from good days and bad days.

10. howsboutafiver

howsboutafiver Banned

6 year old sand needs to be changed out it stored a pile of nutrients et all. It sounds like it finally blew up. Sand should be replaced every 3-4 years ur eventually it will release and boom. A massive fish kill. Boom. Replace sand before restocking.

11. Jay1982

Reeaaaaally? Wow, I never knew that to be honest....wow; I always read about having mature sand beds are a benefit and something to strive for. Never thought they had an expiry on them. I guess I will be scooping the bed out then