Tank getting pounded by algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Ryan Duchatel, Oct 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

No,it will be more accurate if calibrated with the solution.The refracto may read 0 with ro water,but once you get to 1.025/1.026,it may not be,hence the reason for calibrating in the range for which it's intended to be used with a known source of salinity.

2. Click Here!

3. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

Mine came with a card in it that said in big red letters "DO NOT CALIBRATE USING RO/DI! USE THE ENCLOSED CALIBRATION FLUID"

Another creature you may want to look at is a pin cushion urchin. They are algae eating machines. But they tend to knock stuff over and carry snails or hermies around in their spines.

4. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

lol you'e in australia, find a non protected reef and collect some snails for free lol

5. sail33

sail33 Plankton

That's not what the manufacturers say. Always test with a proven, known solution near the numbers you are looking for. Calibrate with zero and the reading will be off.

this is going to make me sound really smart.

The index of refraction (or refractive index) is the ratio of the speed of light traveling through a vacuum to the speed of light in the material being tested. Most aquarists do not realize that when using a refractometer, they are measuring the speed of light through their aquarium's water.

Light travels through most materials more slowly than it does through a vacuum, so their refractive index is higher than 1.00000. The detailed mathematics and physics behind refractive index are actually quite complicated, because it is often a complex number with real and imaginary parts, but a simple version is adequate for all purposes that a reef aquarist would encounter. Some materials slow light traveling through them more than others, and slower light travel leads to a higher refractive index.

If you read this link and quote it, you can sound really smart too. Thing is, if you actually DO read it...you will be really smart. And you'll know how to track your salinity.

Refractometers and Salinity Measurement by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

6. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

I will talk to the manufacturer and see what they say. But ill carry on using the instructions it at the moment. But im sure I could buy a vile or so of that 35 fluild. I only use 2 drops a test anyway.

That is a very good idea. I am considering that as I also want some kelp stalks, to give me tank a forest type look. But I would need to set up a quarantine tank before I can do that safely.

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

That is not correct. The problem is that your refractometer is a NaCl not a NSW instrument so without a closer calibration point the errors are glaringly obvious.

I took the leap and found calibrating it to RODI 1.025 was really 1.017 or something along those lines. Just make sure you get good quality calibration fluid because otherwise you would be right.

8. Click Here!

9. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

10. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

also im currently using api algaefix and its doing a good job....it hasnt removed all algae period but it has definitely brought it down to a manageable amount, everyone seems fine and happy...one of my nems deflates for a couple hours afterward but he always reinflates just fine, ive been using it for like 2 weeks now

11. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

I have read a bit and it just seemed to be for fresh water use? Is there a seperate API salt water algae fix?

12. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Would it also be wise to get some brittle stars for my refugium? Maybe just one?