Tank getting pounded by algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Ryan Duchatel, Oct 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sail33

sail33 Plankton

I'd take a sample to the LFS that you trust. Have them check the numbers against yours. I'm wondering if your test kit is viable.

2. Click Here!

3. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Can someone tell me what is the benefit of an alternate lighting cycle in the sump vs a 24/7 lighting cycle?

Will it make my pH fluctuate. Its finally become stable since I have been using the 24/7 lighting cycle.

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

When dealing with high nutrients there is no better way to bring them down than a good old large water change with zero TDS water.
    Like 20-30% a week

5. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

No worries, ill beef it up substantially this week :).

6. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

I ordered my bigger vacuum today, my other one just cant suck the stuff up. I have also set up an alternate light cycle on my sump. Please see above though.

I ordered a pump and tubing to get my chiller set up to my system. Which will help with any temperature issues I might get during summer. My aim is to make a very very stable system so everything likes it :).

7. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

I also got my new salinity refractometer today, which is mega accurate, and my salinity is a little low, at 1.023, so I will be slowly raising that up to 1.026

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Actually, running the sump light opposite the DT should help stabilize pH more so than running it 24/7 I would think. With an alternating cycle, photosynthesis will occur in the DT during the day, and the sump at night. This reduces carbon dioxide in the tank. If you don't run a light during the night, the excess CO2 will form carbonic acid, which will lower pH.

So by running alternating cycles, you always have photosynthesis occurring, just more during the day than the night, which is why your pH will still drop some during the night.

Awesome! Just make sure you calibrate it using 35ppt fluid! I check.calibrate mine every time I use it.

10. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

I calibrated it with RODI water? Is that the same? Thats what the instructions said to do?

11. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Ro/di will work,but not recommended.35ppt solution is close to natural sea water and as with any sensitive piece of test equipment,you always want to calibrate in the range for which the device is used for.

12. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

But if you are trying to determine what the level of salinity is, you calibrate it with something that has a salinity of nothing. Therefore, when you add the aquarium water, you get a proper reading... If you are calibrating it with sea water or close to sea water you will get skewed results.