Tank getting pounded by algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Ryan Duchatel, Oct 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

It can be disastrous,i've used it twice,once was a total failure with 80% livestock lost,the 2nd was successful.Use a wooden airstone and run the skimmer without the collection cup.You can't pump enough dissolved O2 into the water.Chemi-clean works by oxidation which gobbles up that precious oxygen in your water column.It does work,but i'll never use it again.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

+1...

4. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

How stocked was your tank at the time? I had no issues was super worried though and what did you have in that didn't make it.

5. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

It was my well stocked and established 55g with 5 fish (the largest fish being my clown pair).Lost all fish,many corals (softies and lps),and most all inverts,had a couple snails and hermits survive and a few leathers and my gsp made a comeback.

I will also mention that I was not fighting typical cyano,there is too many non-risky fixes for that-ie-more flow,less feeding,wc's,better skimmer,gfo,lighting,fuge,ats,Dr.Tims and many more. I had an encrusting cyano which I tried getting id'ed a couple times with no solid results.It was not the common red slime I see in your pics which was the only reason I used it.I also dosed less than recommended out of fear,used two airpumps and ran my skimmer cupless to prevent o2 depletion.By morning,the tank was a loss.I did hit it a second time while the tank was on the mend and before it was restocked so I can't really say the 2nd was successful either other than it did kill the encrusting cyano.

I will strongly stand behind it not working as advertised and is far more dangerous then many think,the instructions are vague to say the least.I have even spoke with the owner Mr.Boyd a couple times on the phone who said I did everything correctly,it was not my fault and he would help me get my tank going again,he never followed through nor would take a call or answer any of my pm's/emails after waiting for weeks of nothing.And thats too bad because I like chemipure elite,but I will no longer support the company by buying any of their products.

6. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

That says enough for me. I wont be using it if there is a chance it will harm my live stock. I shall fight it through other methods.

7. dandk2261999

dandk2261999 Bristle Worm

I think that people have different experiences with different products. As noted above many have had problems with chemclean.

I on the other hand had a great experience with it. Now per the LFS I lessoned the dosage opposed to what the directions said. Other than that I followed it exactly and it worked out great.

8. Click Here!

9. sail33

sail33 Plankton

Oh man....You've got it BAD!
    I don't think you will get this under control with livestock. They never get it all. Chemical treatments are risky and don't solve the underlying problem.
    I buy my water pre-made from my local fish store. I don't have to worry about filters, mixing salt, chlorine or chloramines. Tap water can have a high phosphate level from the start as well.

I don't see where you've noted your test results but testing kits do expire, the colors are hard to compare to the charts. I suggest that you get your water tested at the local fish store and compare the results with what you're getting.

Algae needs several things to grow. reduce or eliminate nitrate, phosphate and light and it will die off. You would be best off getting those under control first.

There is another method that works. It will also help keep future outbreaks in check. H2O2 in a 3% solution. That's hydrogen peroxide just as you'd buy it off the shelf at the local pharmacy. It kills the algae and kind of cooks it. If you have algae eaters, they absolutely LOVE the algae served up this way.

Listen now, plenty of local fish stores have poured H2O2 into their system when the power went out. Why ? It ADDS oxygen and can save the life of fish in those circumstance. I don't recommend that you do that unless you have no softies as they will die or you are willing to take the risk without blaming me.

You can also take out one rock at a time, dip it into a bucket of FRESH 3% H2O2 for a slow count of three. Then rinse it in clean salt water and place it back into the tank. Green algae will die in 24 hours or less, red or brown will take 3 days or so.

Then get a large hypodermic without the needle. put a short piece of surgical tubing on the end. connect that to a longer piece of stiff, clear tubing. Suck up some hydrogen peroxide and when you see the algae begin to appear again, spot spurt with TINY blast of peroxide onto that spot. Within 24 hours that spot will turn white as will the rock underneath. ( 3 to 5 days for red or brown algae). Some people even use a smaller hypo like that used for diabetes injections.

I don't have the link handy but if you go to Reef Central Online Community and search the forums, you'll find more confirmation and, no doubt, more clear dosing directions. You'll find plenty of before and after pictures there too.

If you follow the hypodermic dosing suggested above in a small spot, you'll see that it works. Small amounts won't hurt most life in the tank with the exception of softies especially xenia. You may want to quarantine them for this treatment.

BUT like everything else in reefing, DON'T take my word for it. Research it until YOU are satisfied and make your own decision to try it or not. This is where I insert a full disclaimer disavowing any liability on my part.

BEST of luck.

10. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Water changes and husbandry, a fish doesn't need that much food. Once I got those 3 ideas into my mind, my tank cleared up in 2 months. I had an inch high of cyano all over my system, and don't forget to clean your skimmer every day. Most dont think it does a lot but it is essential.
    And watch out for chemicals, they are compared to giving someone a pill every day to stay alive. Don't use it if you don't need it.

11. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Lol, I would never trust water I don't make, or my best reef buds dont make.

12. sail33

sail33 Plankton

I can understand that. Whatever you feel is best. I do trust the store I use. There are other local stores that also sell water but I would NOT buy from them. I always confirm. I've looked over this stores set up and talked to them about the details. Lets face it though, you, your best reef buds, me, the LFS and the water authority ,even the water testing system that you use to make your own water can all make mistakes.

When the "bother factor" gets too high, we all fall into habits. So just exactly how careful is too careful ? How careful is not careful enough ?

Like they say, Life can only be understood backwards. But it must be lived forwards. That's my attempt at true heavyosity for today.