Tank getting pounded by algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Ryan Duchatel, Oct 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

If everything gets covered by algae only 2 days after you've cleaned everything off, a CuC wouldn't be enough to keep that kind of growth in check.
    What equipment do you have in the tank? What kind of sand bed?

I would start with getting some Microbe Lift Special Blend and begin using it per the instructions on the package. Take the rocks out of the tank and scrub them in a pail of water and keep doing it. Eventually you'll it'll slow down it's pace and when that happens you can worry about a CuC for keeping up with the slower growth.

The reason I asked about equipment is that I try to clean mine every six months, when I don't it gets clogged up with detritus and I start growing more algae. I recently had a small outbreak and upon removing my rocks to reach my pumps so I could clean them I found a dead stinky snail. Cleaned it all up and have been algae free for a few weeks. Getting worried that my CuC will starve :) Anyway, sometimes it pays to just break some things down to clean them and look around for a hidden problem like a dead snail.

2. Click Here!

3. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

4. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

I've used chemi-clean with great results in the past and ill effects for cyano, simple solution.

5. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

A emerald green will be fine with your shrimp. They will lift up their claws if a fish comes by them, but that is about it. They do not always go for bubble algae but, they usually eat it. I have heard of them messing with coral, but I think it's very rare and I have never had one do it. If it would pick at coral, it probably won't be as hard as a fish to take out of the tank. My turbos clean very well, although they don't have very long life spans. I would say probably one of my molly millers clean algae equivalent to 2-3 turbos.

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Actually this looks about right. I see that you started your tank on 6/13/12 (bit over 3 months ago) and then added substrate on 7/7/12. The algae bloom usually hits around the 3-4 month mark so this is about on schedule. It will eventually subside with water changes and keeping up with cleaning.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  7. ska d

ska d Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Couple of emerald crabs ( usually fine with others) get your cuc stocked up. Get about 15-20 snails (Turbo, astrea etc) Not so sure about macro algae, does that caulpera need to be trimmed before releasing elements or is it one of the safer ones.

8. Click Here!

9. juniorx

juniorx Astrea Snail

I had hair algae all the time in my old tank (tap water ...) then I had a phyto bloom which I killed off with a UV filter and skimming.

There was NO algae in my tank after the bloom, I'm guessing because after 3-4 days it sucked up all of the light and nutrients. I had a ton of baby snails and feather dusters in the next couple of weeks afterwards.

If I ever have a case of bad algae again I plan on creating a phyto bloom, flip my UV on for 24hrs then skim it out. Worked like magic last time & the tank looked like new.

Algae... How should I solve it?

10. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

I have a pretty poor clean up crew to be honest. I only have 2 stromb snails and 2 trochus snails. I wish there was such thing as reef cleaners in Australia!.

My phosphate level is chilling around 0.2

I would love to do an algae turf scrubber, but it just looks abit to difficult for me to make, and combined with university study im not sure I have enough time to build something. Can you get pre-build scrubbers?

I will set up an alternate lighting cycle today for the sump.

In the tank I have two smaller powerheads, a 150W heater and my MP10. In sump I have a Hydor 450 Performer Skimmer, a refuge with caleurpa and a Phosphate reactor. Nothing to special.

I have recently found 2 dead snails as well. The trochus snails I have cannot right them selves if they fall off a rock, and if its in a place I cant see, usually die.

I will look into the microbe lift special blend.

Thanks, but I live in Australia and I cant get things from all the fantastic american sites :).

I shall definately look into that. Thanks.

Great. I think I will be off to get one today when the LFS opens :).

And to think I said 6 months. How fast time flys hey. I hope im on track and not straying far from it!. I think I have by passed a little bit the "go slow".

It doesnt help that at my LFS snails are like $10 each. If I can find a cheap place online I will put in an order for tonnes. Providing it ships to Australia.

Thanks for the thread. I am definately considering getting a UV sterilzer. Just a little one that can slowly pound away at some things. I have heard that they are good for getting really clear pristine water.

I would love a tonne of feather dusters! I just cant seem to find them at all here where I live. I think the look really neat!.

11. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I 100% stand behing this !! I had this exact same problem---
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this stuff was impossible!!
    Manually reamove cyano, syphon off the bubbles first and then use chemi clean per instructions. it was the only way I could kill it. I have a fuge, GFO, and a uv sterilizer and nothing helped. Had to use chemi clean twice but no cyano since! Also figure out what is causing the issue ie water (rodi filters may be bad), rinse frozen food, or flow.

12. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Thanks, I think I will grab some of this chemi clean. I hope it doesnt have negative effects on the tank though. That could be pretty disastrous.

Also. I looked into getting an emerald crab and all three LFS where I live said they haven't ever been able to get them in Australia. So I have told them to search for me lol.