Tank dosn't seem to be cycling as should?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by svb57, Mar 8, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Yes sir you were overfeeding and that "feeds" the cycle More food=more waste=more ammonia=more nitrites=more nitrates. And we tried the live bacteria to help with the 10 fish my posting in water Chem says that is the only time I suggest it. Damsels or not I wanted to get the tank right so they were not killed. Have you done the water changes and did you cut back to once a day feedings of no more then 10 flakes or a flake per fish? Water turnover or circulation is great but should be ok for fo tank

2. Click Here!

3. svb57

svb57 Plankton

Phil thanks for the help......Yes, have cut back to 10 flakes once a day, but have not done any water changes as of yet. Was not sure if I should with the nitrites not being down yet. Thought I wasnt supposed to make change until after the cycle was complete. I guess I am more then a little confused with this.

Thanks

4. Phil5613

Go right ahed and water change away.

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Also need more water movement like Matt said.. more power heads will help the tank.

6. Phil5613

I Think the Ehiem he has and the power heads he has is still ok for fish only He is getting better then 10 turns an hour I don't recall the exact "recommended" flow rate but 10 turns isn't that shabby. I think small water changes will fix this and if anything The cutback on the feeding will help also.