Tank dosn't seem to be cycling as should?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by svb57, Mar 8, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. svb57

svb57 Plankton

Need your collective thoughts.

Have had a 120G FO tank set up with fish in it since Jan 26th.  Today makes 6 weeks.  The amonia got to .6 on Feb 4th and dropped to zero Feb 20th.  The nitrites started rising on Feb 9th and got to over 10 on Feb 20th.  Today they are still over 10 and the nitrates are still showing 0.  PH is constant at 8.2, water temp constant at 78, and specific gravity is 1.018.  For the last 5 days have started to see diatom growth.  Up untill start of last week I was over feeding the 10 damsels I have in the tank (2 times a day).  Last week fed them on Wednesday and Friday and again today.  I have a Eheim 2229 wet/dry filter and 2 power heads in the tank.  Added 6 oz TLC  (bottled bacteria) last Monday and again today.  All the damsels seem to be doing fine.

Question:  Shouldn't the tank have cycled by now? So what am I doing wrong?  

Thanks!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

I think that when your nitrite goes down your cycle is over The reason you don't see Nitrate is because you have a big tank It was same with me. O and the damsels always look fine. They lived trough my whole cycle.

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Re: Tank doesn't seem to be cycling as should?

[quote author=svb57 link=board=Newbie;num=1078766242;start=0#0 date=03/08/04 at 09:17:21]Need your collective thoughts.

Have had a 120G FO tank set up with fish in it since Jan 26th.  Today makes 6 weeks.  The ammonia got to .6 on Feb 4th and dropped to zero Feb 20th.  The nitrates started rising on Feb 9th and got to over 10 on Feb 20th.  Today they are still over 10 and the nitrates are still showing 0.  PH is constant at 8.2, water temp constant at 78, and specific gravity is 1.018.  For the last 5 days have started to see diatom growth.  Up until start of last week I was over feeding the 10 damsels I have in the tank (2 times a day).  Last week fed them on Wednesday and Friday and again today.  I have a Eheim 2229 wet/dry filter and 2 power heads in the tank.  Added 6 oz TLC  (bottled bacteria) last Monday and again today.  All the damsels seem to be doing fine.

Question:  Shouldn't the tank have cycled by now? So what am I doing wrong?  

Thanks!!!![/quote]
    It goes from Ammonia to Nitrites to Nitrates.
    What is you NITRITE test reading?
    Nirates are the last thing on the cycle and the best way to lower them is a 10% water change.
    TLC Marine SAT is for algae and I don't recommend anything that speeds up a CYCLE. "use nothing"

Your SG is really low also. Change the water with RO/DI water and mix to a higher salinity say to 1.026 and it may equal out your tank to a reading of 1.023 or there abouts. How are you testing the SG?

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Re: Tank doesn't seem to be cycling as should?

[quote author=szogun link=board=Newbie;num=1078766242;start=0#1 date=03/08/04 at 09:39:15]I think that when your nitrite goes down your cycle is over The reason you don't see Nitrate is because you have a big tank It was same with me. O and the damsels always look fine. They lived trough my whole cycle.[/quote]

Nitrites are 2nd in the cycle, and cycle is NOT over.

Nitrates are called slow death, the best way to lower them is to do water changes... please use RO/DI water.

szogun I don't know where you got the info on a big tank not having Nitrates but that info is wrong. The bigger the tank the less problems you will have but you still have things a small tank does.

The more water volume the easier it is to take care of.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I'd feed less and think about increasing circulation to help decrease diatom blooms.

2 powerheads and an eheim don't seem like a lot for circulation on a 120g tank.

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=Matt Rogers link=board=Newbie;num=1078766242;start=0#4 date=03/08/04 at 12:33:40]I'd feed less and think about increasing circulation to help decrease diatom blooms.

2 powerheads and an eheim don't seem like a lot for circulation on a 120g tank.[/quote]

That is so true Matt man. May need a closed loop installed.
    But how does circulation get rid of nitrates?

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Circulation doesn't, that's why I said feed less.
    My guess is he may be overfeeding since he has 10 damsels and is feeding twice a day.

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=Matt Rogers link=board=Newbie;num=1078766242;start=0#6 date=03/08/04 at 13:40:52]Circulation doesn't, that's why I said feed less.
    My guess is he may be overfeeding since he has 10 damsels and is feeding twice a day. [/quote]
    OH OK.... don't get mad now...:D

11. svb57

svb57 Plankton

Thanks for the feed back!!!

Yeah I was told I was over feeding. So what I have been doing is "feeding" the cycle? By reducing the amount I feed, the cycle then should finish?

How does increased circulation make a difference in the diatom bloom?

Thanks!

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

What are your teat reading now? all 3 of them.