Tank Cycling w/ Biozyme

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by ermano, Feb 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

I bought and set up a 29G tank about 2 weeks ago, and since then it's been cycling and i haven't been getting decent readings on my tests. The ammonia jumped to .5ppm and then went back down...and the nitrites have been starting to show about 2 days ago at .1ppm. A week into the cycle, i bought about 15lbs. of pre-cured live rock, cleaned it and threw 'em in (not sure if that was the best of ideas). Anyways, I added water conditioner as well as "bio-zyme". The LFS guy told me that it's been seen to work as to speed up the cycle. At 3 bucks, I told myself, "why not?"...again, I'm not sure if that was another good idea? I started the dosage for new tanks and I'm on the 3rd day, (says to do it for 7 days).

SO, since then I've been getting 0ppm ammonia, and .05ppm nitrite and 2.5ppm nitrate...is this right? Plus I haven't seen a substantial jump in these either, so i'm just wondering, is it really working? I'm using "Red Sea" tests, and most people i've talked to say that they're a pain to read, which is true to an extent. I have whisper 30 filter running (not good enough, i know) and an aquaclear powerhead going for circulation. The salinity is also at 1.022. temp around 79-80F. I plan on just adding 1-2 fish/invert when the cycle completes, is this alright?

I know I jumped around a lot, I apologize.

2. Click Here!

3. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

I believe all the bio-zyme is doing is prolonging the cycle, the reason to let the stuff spike and return back to normal is so the bacteria can grow thats nessecary to keep your tank healthy. so I would stop with that and let the tank cycle, some people cycle with a fish/invert some do not, my tanks at about 5 weeks and I have been working on slowly adding stuff while watching levels like a hawk, and even at 5 weeks, I am really pushing it on such a new tank, first in were two snails and two small blue leg hermits, then I got a rock with some zoanthids on it which is doing great, also added a small yellow headed sleeper goby which is a sand sifting goby(which its a 20 dollar fish so kind of a risk there) plus hes so cool if he died Id mad for rushing, but he sifts food out of the sand and keeps it stirred a bit, then I got 2 more snails(all four are atreas) and just saturday I added to electric blue hermits which are large but peaceful, just a little clumsy some times, funny to watch though...so its all doing good, I'd wait 5-6 weeks before anything though, but if you do add a fish wait till the amonia and nitrites have come back down, and only add one. or a crab or something, but just one

4. ccorral

ccorral Plankton

use the new bacteria from Dr. tim cycles tank fast. Live bacteria

5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

never use inverts for tank cycle. just too finicky about water quality. Damsels are the only ones that could be attempted to cycle tank with, but morally, i would just use a cocktail shrimp.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Non of the live or freeze dried stuff works very well. A Old company called Nectonk's put the product bye-zonic instant 3 day full cycle stuff out in 1974 or so it never worked well . At that time I used it to see how it worked since I ran a LFS and the marine fish where really taking off in sales and existing salt tank space was at a premium . You could not pay me enough to ever try that again.. And I even way back then knew how a cycle worked and what was happening and what it required But I took a shot.. Good luck with it.. Because when you think thats done its not.. Watch it.